Style > Beauty

Five College Beauty Essentials I Never Knew I Needed (Or Existed)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

When I began packing for college, I found hundreds of online lists and suggestions blogs telling me what I should and should not bring; things like microwaves, printers, and TVs. However, none of these homeware items would help me with what is arguably one of the most exciting aspects of college life: going out for the first time. 

Getting ready in someone’s dorm room with six of your friends while a Top 40s song plays on someone’s JBL is the best part of a Friday night, and is practically a Miami right of passage. 

However, my normal makeup from home in no way prepared me for the sweat, grime, and exercise of going out. I arrived at the party with my hair perfectly straightened and my makeup perfectly powdered, but I left a sweaty, smelly mess. Here are my top five makeup/beauty essentials to help you avoid my mistakes!

1. Setting Spray- Setting spray (Morphe Continuous Setting Mist, $16.00) is a LIFESAVER when it comes to makeup that has to stay on for long periods of time. It solidifies and locks in your look, preventing smudging and excess oil. I love to use setting spray in my daily makeup routine, it sets my makeup and even combats my oily skin!

2. Lip liner- Growing up, I thought lip liner was for my Grandma, but it actually really helps lipstick stay on especially when you’re drinking from cups and straws! They make lip liner in a huge variety of colors and finishes, and they’re available at virtually every price point! If you’re looking to get crafty, you can overline your lips (a la Kylie Jenner) with a nude shade and fill in with lipstick for a fuller look! If you’d like a cheap (but high quality) alternative, check out this one by NYX (NYX Professional Makeup Slim Lip Pencil, $4.00).

3. Blotting Sheets- Blotting sheets are a MUST HAVE for going out, or even for girl’s night’s in. Do you ever take a picture and cringe because of how oily your face looks? These will take care of it without messing up your makeup! They can also be used without makeup just to freshen up your face throughout the day (DHC Hemp Paper Mattifying Sheets, $5.00)

4. Face Primer- This one may seem like a no-brainer to some, but finding a good face primer that works with your skin type can change your makeup game. For oily skin, I recommend Benefit’s The Porefessional Face Primer, $32. It not only masks your pores, but gets rid of shine and increases the blendability of your foundation. For dry skin, I recommend Too Faced’s Hangover Replenishing Face Primer, $34, because it moisturizes as much as it primes! For a cheaper option, I’d recommend E.L.F.’s Hydrating Face Primer $6, they also sell a putty version which is really fun!

5. Hair Protectant and Spray- As a wavy/curly haired girl, I love to change up my look when I go out, and straightening is always my go-to! However, when I sweat or it’s humid, my hair curls right back up. Hair sprays like Sexy Hair Protect Me Hot Tool Protection Hair Spray, $18, is a great way to both protect and maintain your hair!

​  

Kate Stumph

Miami (OH) '22

My name is Kate Stumph and I'm a Creative Writing and Pre-Medical Studies Major from Miami University! I love writing about beauty, self-care, and women's issues!
Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20