This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Let’s be real, ladies. As our generation constantly redefines the definitions of gender, realtionships, sexual orientation, and many more cultural customs and values, we should talk about what it means to be in a healthy relationship these days, and not necessarily a romantic one. There are so many different kinds of relationships. It’s hard to keep track. There are friendships, hook-ups, flirtationships, situationships, companionships, and probably many, many more. The kind of relationship we’re gonna talk about today, however, is the one between soulmates.

What is a soulmate? There are many different interpretations. Most people go for the ‘love of your life’. Your romantic partner. The one you eventually get married to and have a family with. I disagree. Although this is the customary soulmate that we learn about from a very young age, I think a soulmate can come in many different forms. To me, a soulmate is someone you connect with on multiple levels. They are someone who gets you for you and bonds with you socially, mentally, and possibly physically. Basically, it’s someone you’re on the same page with.

It can be difficult to find a soulmate, especially when there are four billion people living in this world. It really is left up to chance and whether you’re in the right place at the right time. In most cases, you don’t even realize you’ve found them when you do. You can be sitting on the toilet in a public restroom, offering them some toilet paper because their stall ran out. You can be at a music festival when they come up to you, complimenting your outfit. You can be in class or at the bars or eating in a dining hall. The most important thing is that you put yourself out there and just be you. 

I have many soulmates. Two I found in college, two I’ve known since I was in kindergarten, and one I’ve lived with my entire life. All of these relationships happened through circumstance. I didn’t know that a compliment about my earrings would lead to a strong bond over french fries and how men aren’t shit. I didn’t know that the girl I’d sat in a three-seater with on the first day of school would become such a huge part of my life. Developing a relationship with your soulmate takes time. I think you’re meant to realize that this person is special and matches your energy early on, but growing together and experiencing things together is the best part.

I find myself constantly thanking whatever higher power sent me my soulmates. It feels like some sort of premeditated meeting, especially when we find ourselves thinking the same thoughts or liking the exact same things. The truth is, finding a soulmate is hard until its not. In other words, you know when you’ve found them when being around them is effortless, when laughing with them comes naturally, and making fun of the same laptop stickers occurs daily.

Janelle Hart

Miami (OH) '21

Janelle is an English - Creative Writing and Media and Culture double major at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Prior to college, she attended a small high school in her hometown of Freehold, NJ. She loves to write about today's culture and aspires to write future films.