Feeling Good in Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Confidence: noun [kon-fi-duh ns]: Belief in oneself and one’s powers or abilities.

You’ve probably heard the phrase “confidence is key” and seen things like “10 Ways to Look and Feel Confident” on every women’s magazine in the checkout lane at Target. If someone asked you to define the word confidence, it would be relatively easy.

What if someone asked you how confidence feels?

Confidence feels like your butt has never looked better in these jeans. It feels like your eyebrows are #OnFleek and your hair doesn’t look like it’s full of dry shampoo. Confidence feels like when you buy that new dress and it looks like it was made for you, or you working it no matter what it looks like!

Confidence feels like knowing you look great with makeup, and it also feels like knowing that you can rock a bare face because everyone is human and sometimes you just can’t be bothered.

What does it mean to feel good in your skin? It means accepting your flaws and knowing that every freckle and every stretch mark means that you have lived. You have grown, and that’s a beautiful thing. Feeling good in your skin means understanding that the feeling may not be there every single day, but that tomorrow has so many possibilities to be better than today. 

Milena is a freshman at Miami University (the one in Ohio, not the one in Miami. Common misconception). She enjoys travelling, watching videos of animals doing cute things, and fancy cheese platters. You can follow her on twitter @milenanoelm for said animal videos and her tumblr recalculatiing.tumblr.com for even more videos, aesthically appealing pictures, and feminist things. Even though she has her whole college career ahead of her, she is focused 5 years ahead, when she plans on living around London with a cute dog and a thriving hipster blog. Also follow her snapchat @mnmworld for thrilling videos of campus squirrels and dogs.
Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com