Fashion Frenzy: MUCFD & UP Magazine’s Fashion Week Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As Miami University’s Club of Fashion and Design (MUCFD) is gearing up for fashion week in partnership with UP Magazine, let’s take a look back to how it all started and how these dedicated fashionistas plan to celebrate a campus-wide fashion week.  

Saturday, March 3rd will mark the 8th annual spring fashion show featuring student models and designers. Even though the fashion show has been put on for 8 years now, the fashion week leading up to it is a much newer concept.

Fashion week on Miami’s campus launched in 2012 in order to raise more awareness towards the annual fashion show. The executive members of MUCFD knew they wanted something each day that would not only publicize the show, but also be engaging events that students would be interested in attending.

For instance, a speaker from some realm of the fashion industry is brought in to speak about their career trajectory for the annual fashion week. This is extremely beneficial for MUCFD members as well as UP fashion magazine’s members as many of them are looking at pursuing potential careers in fashion, however, any collegiette is invited to attend. This year the speaker is Nikki Martinkovic, who is an associate designer for Milly, and previously for Alice + Olivia.

The trunk show is the main staple of fashion week hosting vendors such as Rent the Runway, Magnolia, Juniper, and Hush Intimate Apparel. Year after year, changes are made in order to be more effective in targeting students, such as moving the trunk show from Uptown to the FSB Commons.

These events, as they continue to grow and reach a larger audience, as well as selling fashion week t-shirts which can be purchased online to anyone interested, has led to a much larger audience for the fashion show with last year’s ticket sales selling out to almost 400 people.

Starting this year, MUCFD has added a fashion week kick-off which will take place on Tuesday, April 29th at the Phi Delt Gates and will include music, cookies, t-shirts, and more with the intention of raising further awareness of not only the events such as the trunk show and fabulous speaker, but primarily for the fashion show on Saturday, May 3rd .

As fashion week continues to grow and expand, in addition to the newly added fashion minor being implemented next semester, these initiatives are used to make the student body more aware of the fashion opportunities available to students and increase attendance for the fashion show that dedicated MUCFD members have worked so hard to put together.

Head on over to MUCFD’s website to purchase tickets pronto before the show is sold out!