Crop Top Mania: Making the Trend Work for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

It’s been pretty impossible to not notice that crop tops seem to be the trend of the season. Campus has recently been crawling with them, both day and night. Whether it be cropped tanks, tight tees, or the long sleeved look, the fad has most definitely hit Miami just in time for last of the pleasant warm weather before the chill of fall takes over! So why are they coming back in style?

In the 90’s, crop tops were all the rage. As we all know, trends from past decades always find their way back, and with the help of some of the biggest designers and celebrities, the crop top has finally made its loop back around this year. The youthful look graced this year’s runways in the shows of Alexander Wang, Chloe, and Jason Wu, just to name a few. 

One must be careful though when incorporating this trend into their own wardrobe. It is important to know how to pair these tops with the perfect bottoms and accessories in order to not show too much skin.  

These tops are so much fun because the majority of them are quite comfortable, and can easily transform from a day to night look with little effort. Keep in mind that the seasons are slowly changing, and the way we wear these tops should abide by the changing weather (the way you’d wear these tops in the summer is obviously not how you want to wear them this month!)

During the day, a crop top can be complimented by a colorful maxi skirt or high-waisted jean short. Layer with a jacket or cardigan on days where there is a slight breeze. When the sun goes down and the party people come out to play, partner your crop top with a flashy high waisted or skater skirt for your evening uptown.

When choosing a skirt, keep it classy by picking one with a longer length to compensate for baring your midriff . Sometimes, less skin makes for a sexier look. Emma Watson said it best with “The less you reveal, the more people can wonder.”

It’s very important you pick the right crop top for your body. Be aware of what you feel best in, and never wear something that makes you uncomfortable just because it may be in style!

Many popular retailers have hopped on the crop top bandwagon, which makes it super easy to find a piece that works for you.

The always-reliable Forever 21 is a great place to look that offers these short and sweet tops in many colors and at an affordable price. American Apparel has some sweet pieces that are great for layering this fall. Companies that are always with the trends such as Anthropologie, Tobi, and Urban Outfitters currently have some beautiful staple pieces that any girl could rock. Whether it be for day drinking in the warm afternoons to tearing up High Street at night, these retailers provide a variety of styles and will have what you’re looking for.

This look can be a little intimidating for some due to the fact that not all of us are accustomed to highlighting our midriff. It’s honestly not for everyone, but if you haven’t yet given the cropped look a shot, try it out! Show a little skin and you may just find that these tiny tops become a lovely addition to your early fall wardrobe. 

Hannah Harp

Miami (OH)

Hannah Harp is a senior studying Journalism and Psychology at Miami University. She is a co-editor, contributing writer, and photoblogger for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.