This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Let me guess… you buy a new dress for a wedding, a new shirt for a social, or new jumpsuit for vacation. But what do you do after you wear that? After you have already posted an Instagram in it?

In today’s media-based world, fast fashion is a problem now more than ever. People tend to wear clothing only a few times before considering it overworn. However, there are ways to avoid being an outfit repeater while still helping reduce the amount of fast fashion bought. There are plenty of apps out there to resell clothing, including Poshmark, Curtsy, Tradesy, The RealReal, etc.

An alternative to these websites and the shipping costs would be a clothing swap. A clothing swap is a way to bring a community together and create a sustainable use of clothing. You may have a skirt that no longer fits or you just do not like anymore, but it may be the perfect fit for someone else you know. This is where a clothing swap comes in.

Initially, everyone clears out their closets and finds pieces that are in good condition. Then, they all bring them to the clothing swap. The piece’s value can be determined based on a point or ticket system based on the quality, brand, style, etc. This can then be exchanged for something or multiple items of equal value.

A clothing swap is a great way to contribute to helping the environment and enjoy a fun shopping spree with your friends! Miami University Fashion & Design is hosting one for everyone on October 29!

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer