Campus Cutie: Oliver Zak ‘19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Name: Oliver Zak

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Bainbridge, Ohio

Major: Finance

Bearing a glowing face and heart of gold, Oliver Zak’s outgoing personality and beaming smile are hard to look past when running into him here on Miami’s campus. Often found hitting the books, studying late into the night or getting involved in his many different organizations and clubs, getting to know this gentleman is worth every minute of your time. Being someone who is hard-working, selfless, caring, funny, and so much more, Oliver is someone who has an immense amount of skills and traits to contribute to the Miami community and beyond. Sit back, relax, and get to know this week’s campus cutie.

Favorite thing to do on a Friday night?

My favorite thing to do on a Friday night is to hang out at friends’ houses, especially when the weather is nice. There’s nothing like ending a week by relaxing with my closest friends.

Who is your favorite band/ artist?

My favorite band is Panic! At the Disco. I’ve seen them 4 times in concert and counting.

What is your current favorite show to binge watch?

My favorite TV show right now to binge watch is probably Rick & Morty. It’s hands-down the cringiest, most spontaneous humor that I’ve ever seen in a TV show.

What is your favorite movie?

My favorite movie of all time is Treasure Planet. I am obsessed with the creativity of early-to-mid 2000’s and Treasure Planet embodies everything I love about animated movies. It’s a classic adventure story of a misfit teen trying to find his way in the universe accompanied by one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

What is your favorite meal?

There’s nothing better than a good steak, asparagus, and mashed potatoes. I could eat it every day if I had to.

Favorite dessert?

My favorite dessert is pizzelles. Coming from an Italian family, pizzelles are present at EVERY family gathering.

What is your idea of the ‘perfect date’?

I’m a big fan of the classic “dinner and a movie.” I really enjoy the movie theater experience on top of my love for fine dining.

Favorite vacation you’ve ever been on?

By far the coolest vacation I’ve ever been on was my trip to Costa Rica. We spent two weeks in the rain forest and were deeply immersed in the South American culture. I saw everything from monkeys, to eyelash pit-vipers!

What is one of your favorite pastimes?

My favorite pastime is probably playing video games (as much as my girlfriend hates it). I find that it’s an awesome way to kill 20-90 minutes of free time if I have nothing going on.

What is your favorite thing about yourself?

My favorite thing about myself is probably my ability to think big-picture. I consider myself to be a creative person whose ambition is fueled by my big ideas.

What is one thing about yourself that most people don’t know?

One thing about myself that most people don’t know is that I have a chronic obsession with dogs. My two dogs, Coco & Boo, are everything to me. I honestly am concerned that I will end up with 7 of them one day.

What is your ideal job?

My ideal job is to run my own company. I am an aspiring entrepreneur and thrive in high-intensity, high-risk environments. As of now, I’m hoping to start a fin-tech company to compete with slow-growth big banks.

Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

Five years out of school, I see myself wrapping up my corporate career and getting ready for some big changes in my life. Whether it be starting a family or pursuing my entrepreneurial ambitions, I suspect a big change is coming.

If you had to choose another person to answer these questions for you, who would it be?

If I had to choose one person to answer these for me, I’d have to say my dad would be the best at doing so. I’m told I grow eerily similar to him both physically and mentally daily and as much as it terrifies me, I know it’s meant as a compliment. My dad has always been a role model to me academically, professionally, and personally.

Writer for Miami University
Caitlin Barry Senior Campus Correspondent for Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus