Campus Cutie: Ifeolu Claytor ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Year: Junior

Hometown: Shaker Heights, OH

Major: Political Science and Social Jusitce Studies

For a third year studenty, this guy really has his hands full and it’s hard to imagine he has any time to sit back and relax. This campus cutie not only has ben making his dreams come true since stepping foot on Miami’s campus, but will always greet you with a smile and hug on any given day. Want to know how he keeps up with school, work, his busy life and then some? Here it is!

Her Campus: When and why did you decide to come to Miami?

Ifeolu Claytor: I decided to make Miami University my home in March of 2013, after I returned from visiting another top contending school. Though the other school was much smaller, I knew I would be able to find a better sense of community at Miami. I totally made the right choice and have yet to doubt it!

HC: You are such an active member of the Miami University community and student body. What exactly are you involved in and how has it helped you prepare you for life after your undergraduate years?

IC: I found joy serving the Miami community in a number of ways. I am on Executive Cabinet for Associated Student Government, serving as the Secretary for Diversity Affairs. This role mandates that I sit on the Executive Board for Diversity Affairs Council. I am a SEAL (Student Engagement and Leadership) Ambassador with Miami’s Office of Student Activities. This means I get to answer questions for students looking to involved in student organizations. I am also the president of Miami University’s Pre-Law Chapter of the National Black Law Student’s Association. Lastly, I was selected to sit on the Presidential Search Committee, helping to find and pick Miami University’s next president. I am interested in going to law school and helping people through public service. I think that these roles allow me to talk to different types of students, faculty, staff and administrators. Communicating effectively is something I have to do on a daily basis and I believe that doing so will help me be an effective lawyer and public servant. 

HC: How do you balance everything you do?

IC: Balance is all about two things: scheduling and being able to say no.  I use google calendars for almost everything! And unfortunately, I often have to say no when people ask if I can participate in something. I usually want to do whatever they are asking of me, but one person can only do so much and handle their academic responsibilities. I do struggle with both of these things sometimes but I know working at them is best to balance. 

HC: What is one things that most people do not know about you?

IC: Most people do not know that I have had the fortune of being able to travel to six foreign countries in my lifetime. I can’t wait to see where I’ll go next!

Amira Hardy

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com