Campus Celebrity: Rod Mills ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As a second year athlete and one of the starting players for Miami University’s Basketball team, this guy is on top of his game, and now he is beyond focused as basketball season is in full force. Rod Mills is nothing short of hard working, dedicated and focused when it comes to academics and basketball. Wondeirng how he stays on top of everything? Keep reading as Her Campus catches up with this week’s Campus Celebrity.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Undecided

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Favorite Class: American Globalization

Her Campus: When and why did you start playing basketball?

Rod Mills: I started playing at 6. I was always the tallest kid growing up so it was something kind of expected since you’re so tall, but after awhile I started to really like playing it and have been playing since.

HC: What is your secret when it comes to balancing your school work, your social life, and basketball?

RM: With basketbal you have your set time block everyday where you know you have practice and when it comes to school work you just have to make sure you get your work done early and don’t wait until the last minute because you’re so busy and it’s easy to get behind. So I would say staying on top of everything and then making sure you ger some time to yourself too so that you don’t get overwhelmed.

HC: What does a day in the life of Rod Mills look like?

RM: We have team breakfast at 8:00am, and sometimes a team meeting before that. Then I usually have class from 10:00am -12:50pm. Then we have practice from 1:00pm-3:30pm. I have a 4:00pm class then after class we get food and then have study tables for an hour and a half until about 7:30pm. After that I get some time to relac and/or finish up any work I have.

HC: What is one thing that most people do not know about you?

RM: I really like to fish. During the summer I got to do it a lot and it’s something that is fun and relaxing where you can do it with your boys. It helps take you mind off of things. 

Amira Hardy

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com