This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

When you come to orientation at Miami, the first thing you receive is the Code of Love and Honor. The second thing you get is a knee-length black parka.

The Christmas before coming to college I had two things on my list. Bean boots and a black parka. Even before I had stepped foot in Oxford as a student, I knew the winter uniform for women there. If I wanted to fit in all I had to do was look the same as everyone else. And at the time, that made sense – wanting to be accepted at a new and scary place – but now, I wish I would’ve stepped out as my own person. I chose to follow the steps laid before me by basically every female on campus instead of paving my own way.

Why, at a college that’s so full of diverse and bright young women do we all default to the same outfits in the winter? I get that we’re limited as far as fashion goes when it’s freezing out and the classic black parka gets the job done without a lot of hassle but come one, we’re better than that! Does our vibrance die every year along with the flowers?

In every other season you can see girls rocking unique patterns, colors and cuts to class. But in winter, everyone is draped in the same jacket as they march methodically around campus. Maybe, the way to fix the winter blues is to start carrying our own personal style into the cold months. So, with this notion, here are some fab jackets that will help you stand out from the black parka sea and help you feel warmer – literally and figuratively – this winter.

This jacket from Zara retails for $149 and is a great jumping point for those a little nervous to leave their black puffer behind. It’s reversible, so on days where you want to blend in, you can. But on days where you want to shine a little brighter, flip this puppy around and werk.

Everyone has been obsessing over those life-size teddy bears lately. So, what better way to get on the bandwagon than to become one yourself?? Pick up this fuzzy coat from Nordstrom for $129 and fulfill all your wildest fantasies of being the cuddliest thing in every room you walk into!

Pay homage to the sunshine that you’ll miss so dearly this winter by becoming the literal sun! Showing personality is not a problem with this $110 puffer from TopShop. An added bonus to this coat is that yellow is a huge trend right now. So, go on my friends, turn into the French’s bottle this year.

I’ve decided that leopard print is no longer tacky if you wear it the right way. It can be the perfect addition to an all-black ensemble and with this cheap one from Forever 21 (only $49!) you can be edgy without breaking the bank. I think this would be a great special occasion jacket for any formals you have this winter.

One thing that I wish I had that I don’t have is a trench coat. There are few things more frustrating than going to a formal occasion during the winter and having to wear my North Face jacket over my dress (wow that’s the biggest first world problem ever, and for that, I’m sorry). Trench coats, especially this one from Urban, are a great way to stay warm while still looking stylish and dressy.

Try adding a different color, pattern, texture or cut to your winter wardrobe this year. It will help you stand out in a good way and you will for sure feel a boost of confidence from stepping outside of the box!

Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20

Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs