Bieber ‘Rockin’ His Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
Pop idol, Justin Bieber, might still have his “Bielibers,” but after a DUI and drug tests that came out positive, his image has changed abruptly. 

A few years ago, teenage girls around the world knew Bieber as the baby faced singer songwriter they just couldn’t resist. He was a complete teenage heartthrob that made many girls swoon, and his boy-next-door image only became more real when he showed himself to be an active advocate for Pencils of Promise and PETA. After all, what teenage girl wouldn’t want to date a singer songwriter who also shows kindness towards children in developing countries and animals in need?

But as we are quickly learning, that image can only last for so long. 

On Thursday, Jan. 23, Bieber was arrested for a DUI in a residential neighborhood in Miami, Florida. Released toxicology reports show that Bieber had been high on marijuana, and also had prescription pills in his system at the time of the arrest. An officer also claimed that when they first shoved Bieber into the back of the police car, he “reeked” of marijuana.

And Bieber’s troubles didn’t just end with the DUI.

In fact, even more trouble followed—he was charged with assaulting a limo driver days following his DUI arrest. 

Stop for a moment and take a look at these recent developments. What has made Bieber act out so much? Is it because he got sick of the good, innocent boy image that he has held? Perhaps the stress is too much to handle and he needed an outlet? Perhaps he just wants to have fun.

In fact, it might be all of these things, but in the end, does the reason even matter? It’s not a secret that Bieber will continue to have a loyal fanbase during his fall from grace, but there are people out there who aren’t Bieber fans (crazy, I know) and don’t find his actions very amusing or acceptable. His reckless and behavior and attitude has not only put himself in danger, but other people, as well. Even though his DUI arrest happened in the middle of the night, the teenage celebrity is lucky no one was hurt by his actions. It would appear that the teenage pop sensation is in need of a morality session: Even celebrities are not invincible from harm and suffering the consequences of their careless actions.

So what’s next for the celebrity? Rehab, or will he just continue with his dangerous party lifestyle?

Bieber’s biography on his Twitter page has the bold statement, “Let’s make the world better.” How can the world become a better place when the idol making that statement party’s day and night, becomes addicted to drugs, and drag races in a residential street? While the future of this superstar is yet to be determined, one thing is certain: Bieber can only work towards his mission on his Twitter page by cleaning up his act and becoming a true romodel to his millions of fans.