Being Thankful in the Spirit of Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday, despite its *slightly controversial* origin. I love fall, I love the food, but mostly I love spending time with all of my family. The older I get, the more aware I become of all of the things I have to be thankful for. I love to complain about basically anything (I’m working on it), but too often I take for granted what my life is and how blessed I really am.

1. I’m Thankful for My Family

Without my family, specifically my parents, I wouldn’t be where I am today. They have always encouraged me to work hard and follow my dreams, and because of their support I feel like I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. Family has become increasingly important to me over the years, especially after I went to college, and I try to never take for granted the endless love they’ve always shown me.

2. I’m Thankful for My Friends

I’m so lucky to have so many amazing friends in my life. Whether I need a shoulder to cry on, a good laugh, or a workout partner, my friends are always there for me. They support me like only true friends can, and I wouldn’t be who I am without them. I feel so blessed to have so many inspiring people in my life!

3. I’m Thankful for My Education

While it may have its faults, Miami is an incredible place to be. All too often we take for granted the fact that we are in college, and forget that not everyone has that opportunity. I value education above most things, so I really try to remind myself what a privilege this is (even when it’s finals week and I’m falling apart). Miami has already provided me with so many opportunities, and I can’t wait to see what is still in store.

4. I’m Thankful for (all) my dog(s)

This one may seem kind of ridiculous, but I fully believe we don’t deserve dogs – but I’m so grateful we have them. A dog (especially mine) can instantly brighten my day. They’re so full of love and loyalty they really can make anyone feel better.

5. I’m Thankful for My Life

Everything already mentioned basically encompasses my life, but I truly am grateful for the life I’ve lived. I’ve had so many amazing experiences already, and I’m not even 20 years old yet. This world is a beautiful place with so much to offer. I’ve been blessed with so much good in my life, I’ve made it a goal of mine to take a moment every day to remember that and be thankful.

Thanksgiving is a time of celebration and thanks, and I hope everyone remembers to thank those who have impacted them, tell their loved ones what they mean to them, and remember to remind yourself of all of the good.

Feature Photo

Just another college girl with a love for writing, coffee, and adventures. 
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs