This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

High expectations versus being greedy, needy, wanting more are very different. In relationships, it’s easy to always feel like you are asking for too much from your significant other, or even from the boy clumsily attempting to half-hit on you, but not put too much emotion on the bargaining table. 

Boys want you to lower your expectations because it’s easier to not try and make you feel like the villain or the fool for wanting more than just a rum and coke every other Friday night when they decide that going home with you would be sufficient. 

While the attention of this type of boy is flattering and fun, it gets easy to become caught up in the façade he creates around you being his friend, his fuck buddy, or something more that comes through when he becomes upset because you don’t want to stay over and ‘snuggle’. 

It may not be purposeful, he may not even know what he wants or what he is doing, but don’t you think you deserve someone who knows exactly what they want? Who knows that what they want is you? 

And, here’s the thing, it’s fun to catch his attention. This piece is not about the handsome stranger in the bar who funds your alcoholism, this is about the boy who intentionally plays with your feelings to drag you along while he tries to figure out whether he actually wants you or not. And this is your wake-up call to have high expectations, because in all honesty they are not that high, they are perfectly reasonable. You know what you deserve, go out and find someone who will give it to you!

Sarah Cucco

Miami (OH) '22

Hi, I'm Sarah. I am an English Literature and English Education Major!