This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Over the weekend, Kim Kardashian hosted a CBD themed baby shower. I know what you’re thinking, “what the f*ck is that and why should I care?” Well, it doesn’t really matter what Kim does, but you should definitely care about what CBD. Especially because it’s the latest health and wellness trend.

Cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally occurring part of cannabis. It’s a safe and non-addictive substance that is being researched for its medical and therapeutic properties. CBD is closely related to another part of cannabis, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the thing in weed that gets you high. However, CBD doesn’t contain the same properties of THC that give users that stoned feeling. A lot of people want to use CBD for the health benefits of cannabis without the intoxicating value that comes with THC.

Some of the ailments that CBD has been shown to treat are:

• Pain and inflammation

• Arthritis

• Alzheimer’s

• Epilepsy

• Diabetes

• Parkinson’s

• Anxiety

• And much more

It has also been shown to have anticancer properties.

It wasn’t until recently that cannabis products have begun being recognized for their medical purposes. In 2018, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first pharmaceutical CBD formulation. Unfortunately, this medicine is extremely expensive, so now there countless other CBD oil products out there for people who can’t afford the pharmaceutical version.

Here are some CBD products to test out if you’re interested:

Buying CBD in its oil form is the most common way to utilize it. This brand comes in different flavors like mint, vanilla and original so you can find a flavor that suits you. It also gives you the option to choose the potency that works best for your specific needs!

You can work CBD into your daily vitamin routine by getting these gummies. This product makes taking CBD a little more discrete for anyone who’s a bit cautious about testing out its health effects.

With oral CBD products, the compounds to flow into the bloodstream and can take up to two hours for your whole body to feel the effects. If you’re searching for a CBD product to help with a specific area of your body, topical CBD might be the best bet for you. This way, the healing components can absorb straight into your skin wherever you need it most for fast-acting relief.

Bathtime just got even more relaxing. These CBD infused bath bombs work to soothe your mind and your body by relieving stress, anxiety, and inflammation. These are perfect after a hard day at work or for a relaxing spa night!

If you’re interested in learning more about CBD, check out https://www.projectcbd.org/ and https://purekana.com/ for all the products mentioned.

Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer