Alex Welch: John Mackey Tight End of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

The acquaintance of  Miami University’s  football  losing streak, was finally divorced after the Miami Redhawks championed an underdog win against UMass’ Minutemen, October 4, 2014. The win marked as the first triumph for the team after facing a 21-game losing streak. With the excitement of this success and to the players that claimed victory over the Massachusetts team on Miami’s home turf, Her Campus got a chance to talk with Alex Welch, named the John Mackey Tight End of the Week following his efforts versus the Minutemen.

The Cincinnati native is a fifth year senior finishing off his college football career as the tight end for Miami Redhawks. The well-spoken and dedicated player is a former of Notre Dame in which he dedicated four years prior. Welch, believing in the brotherhood of football and the determination that it brings, has found himself welcoming any challenges the season brings. Welch’s level head and high hopes compliment the goals he has for his future.

Her Campus: First off, congratulations on the 42-41 win against UMass. What was the mindset that you went in with, for that game?
Alex Welch:
I think we were just excited for another game to play football. It was exciting to get the win here for our own fans, and overall it was a fun day.

HC: Going into games, is it always the goal to win or to do your best?
AW
: Yeah, I mean, ultimately, it’s about the win. It’s college football. We just take the mindset that working hard and taking it day by day is going to lead to success.

HC: In the following game, you played Akron, and found yourself in another loss. What was the change in dynamic in that game?
AW:
I think there were opportunities in the Akron game we really didn’t take advantage of, ya-know. It came down to the fourth quarter, and we just fell short in that one.

HC: Saturday [ October 18] you’re playing the Northern Illinois Huskies; have you learned from the past game to gain the same momentum that was found in the UMass game?
AW:
Yeah, definitely, I mean, each week there are challenges with each team. But I think if we go in and execute our game plan, I think we will have a good shot.  

HC: For you being a fifth year senior, probably the last season for your college football career, what are your goals looking forward after Miami?
AW:
Yeah, I am enjoying my fifth year here. My undergrad was at Notre Dame― I spent four years there, my fifth year here. I just hope to continue to get better as a team and get more wins- in the win column. But I’ll see what will happen in the next step in my life, hopefully train for the NFL, if not move onto something else.

HC: You have Miami alumni such as Jake O’Connell on the Denver Broncos and Ben Roethlisberger from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Do you see yourself joining that legacy and going into the NFL?
AW:
Um, it really depends on how this year goes. I think as of now, I just have to go day by day, and if that opportunity presents itself I will definitely, definitely, go for it.

HC: What team would you want to play for?
AW:
(laughs) If I had a choice, I would probably say the Bengals since I am from Cincinnati. But with that said, if the opportunity presented itself I’d like to play anywhere.

HC: You have two football families, Notre Dame and now Miami, do you plan to always stay in touch with both brotherhoods?
AW:
Oh yeah, definitely. I made a lot of good friends at Notre Dame, and I made a lot of good friends here, and I hope to continue with them. Once you’re on a team with people, you get to know them, and they become friends for life.

HC: Finally, as a former Notre Dame student, what is your favorite part of Miami?
AW:
I would probably have to say the town. The town of Oxford and how social it is. I like this area, and I think it’s a lot of fun. Notre Dame and Miami are two different schools, and I enjoyed my stay at both.

Alexis Moten

Miami (OH)

Alexis is a Junior contributing writer for Her Campus Miami (OH).
Ellie Conley

Miami (OH)

Ellie Conley is a senior at Miami University. She is the current Editor-In-Chief and the former Publicity Coordinator for the Miami (OH) Chapter of Her Campus.