Alex Belman: President and Co-Founder of Beards for Boobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Meet Alexander Belman, a junior at Miami University and the President of Miami’s Beards for Boobs. He is an economics and political science double major from Clarksburg, Maryland who has made many achievements in just over two years at Miami ― Beards for Boobs is a top 10 fundraiser for Susan G. Komen for the cure! Belman and his freshman year roommate/best friend Kenny Ness, founded the organization in honor of Belman’s grandmother who survived breast cancer. The organization has grown in size and popularity since, and has definitely caught the eye of Her Campus.  
Her Campus: What is Beards for Boobs?
Alex Belman: Beards for Boobs is a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness and research. We sell shirts and merchandise during the month of October and grow beards in the month of November. We collect donations for not shaving during the month of November from family and friends. Over the past two years we have raised almost $15,000 for Susan G. Komen for the cure.

HC: What kind of events, programs, fundraisers, etc. does Beards for Boobs do?
AB: We hold a few events in the months of October and November at bars such as The Woods, Brick [Street] and Skippers to collect donations and sell merchandise. These are great events for the students to come out and hang with their friends while supporting an organization [that is] raising money to end a very prevalent and terrible disease.

HC: What are your goals for Beards for Boobs to accomplish this year?
AB: This year we are hoping to raise $30,000. We are trying to accomplish this through not only our fundraising here at Miami, but also at other schools such as Wisconsin, Dennison and Delaware.

HC: What message would you like to send to Miami students in regard to Beards for Boobs?
AB: I would like students to know that we are doing this for the sole reason of ending breast cancer. We want to see the day when this disease no longer affects the lives of women around the world. Also, I want students to know that it is possible to start a fundraiser of your own. Kenny and I founded this out of [our] dorm room freshman year and have watched it grow to be a huge part of Miami’s campus. Anything can be accomplished, so long as you set your mind to it and go for it.
HC: Besides Beards for Boobs, what else are you involved with on and off campus?
AB: I am a member of Greek life. I joined the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity my freshman year of college and I am also a member of Amicus Curie, the pre law society.

HC: How do you keep a balance among your academics, extracurriculars and relaxing time?
AB: It is tough taking a full course load and being the head of a fundraiser, but it definitely is do-able. The most important thing to do is set a schedule and stick to it. Outline times when you’ll do school work, when you’ll work on the fundraiser and when you need to relax with friends. I have found this to be the best way to make sure everything gets done.

HC: What has been your greatest accomplished, in your opinion, so far here at Miami?
AB: Definitely this fundraiser. To take this from nothing, to becoming a top 10 fundraiser for Susan G Komen for the cure has been an incredible ride for me. I’m hoping we can become number one before we graduate in 2016. That would be an incredible feeling.

HC: What (or who) is your go-to when you’re having a bad day?
AB: When having a bad day, I carve out some extra time to play video games or watch a movie because it helps put things in perspective. For example, one bad grade on an exam can make you feel pretty bad, but when you step back from the situation and look, it really is not that terrible and can be recovered from.

HC: What goals do you have for your future?
AB: My end goal is to go to law school after this and become a lawyer back home in Maryland. I’m not sure what kind of law, but I have been thinking about contractual law a lot.

HC: Is there any last advice you would give to Miami students to help them succeed?
AB: Effort is far superior to skill. If you try your hardest at everything you do, you’ll be happy with yourself at the end of the day. That’s what really matters. Not what other’s think, but what you think of yourself.

Tess is an Assistant Editor and Contributing Writer for Her Campus Miami (OH)