Advice from Outgoing CC: Caitlin Barry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Name: Caitlin Barry

Major: Kinesiology & Public Health

Year: Senior

Hometown: Chi Town :)

Fun Facts

Dream Job: That is the million dollar question….

Dream City: New York, New York

Favorite Movie: My Fair Lady

Favorite Store: Nordstrom (obviously)

HC: How did you get involved in HC?

CB: A few girls in my sorority were involved with Her Campus and one of them knew I was interested in joining a few clubs on campus. She suggested that I join as a member of the photography team since I was interested in both photography and fashion.

HC: What was your favorite part about being president of Her Campus?

CB: My favorite part of being president is twofold. First, I love it because it has lead to so many friendships and relationships that I would not have experienced without interactions with positions across Her Campus. Secondly, I enjoy the access I have to all committees, events, and individuals. I am able to put my involvement in each area based on both interest and need.

HC: What will you miss most about Miami?

CB: The Miami Tradition. Something about Miami makes us all feel like we are a part of something bigger than ourselves. Despite our differing organizational affiliations, backgrounds and friend groups, we are all Miami students sharing the same small town, walking the same paths and admiring the same beautiful redbrick buildings. I will really miss our sense of community as students here. Lucky for me, I know alumni tend to carry their Miami pride wherever they go – “love & honor” to Miami, always.

Also, I’ll really miss Brick – that is my favorite place in the entire world.

HC: What is your favorite memory at Miami?

CB: I have so many wonderful memories at Miami that I struggle to pick out one single memory.. However, one moment that has stuck with me my entire college career happened in the spring of my freshman year. My older sister, Meghan, and her friends were graduating seniors who had graciously taken me under their wings as I started my college career. They invited me to their house to watch a movie before going out one evening. I remember just sitting in their family room, curled up on the couch, and all of them were essentially cuddling each other as we squished 9 people onto one, tiny couch. We watched a movie and laughed all night. I was amazed at the strong friendships my sister had formed with all of her housemates in just 4 short years at Miami, and I remember thinking to myself that I hoped to find something like that. Now, I am a senior, living with 8 of my best friends, who I cannot even imagine living without. It’s crazy how time has gone by so fast and I have found exactly what I was looking for here.

HC: What are you looking most forward to after graduating?

CB: I am definitely looking forward to seeing my family more regularly. I am a homebody and even as a senior, I still get homesick. I’m eager to spend more time with them.

HC: What is one advice you would give to an incoming freshman?

CB: Say “yes” to everything. Be as involved as you possible can. Get as much experience in different positions, develop true and meaningful relationships with the people you encounter, and don’t be afraid to ask questions or for help. College is such a unique environment where you are able to explore various opportunities and determine the type of person you are going to be beyond the city limits of Oxford. Embrace it because this opportunity only comes once in a lifetime.

Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs