7 Books You Need to Read This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Reading is one of my favorite things to do in fall. There is something that is so relaxing about curling up after a long day with a good book. A book that is worth reading is sometimes hard to find , so hopefully some of these will pique your interest.  

1. Matched by Ally Condie

In this dystopian society, people’s lives are completely controlled and scheduled by the government. At 17 years old, people participate in a matching ceremony, in which they are given life partners. When Cassia receives hers, she is excited, but it all changes when she realizes that she has feelings for another boy in town. This love triangle will make you realize the importance of family, freedom, and love.

2. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

This is an quick read that will make you think about how you should be spending your life by doing things that you are passionate about. It is a story about a college graduate whose old professor is now struggling with ALS. His final class with the professor teaches him about the importance of living a meaningful life. It is a story that will tug at your heartstrings and make you reexamine your life choices.

3. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsilver

A devout Christian family travels to Africa to do mission work. At the beginning, this trip seems like an honorable mission, but as the novel progresses the father becomes less concerned with the well being of the people and more concerned with them being Christian. It is an entertaining read that will keep you on the edge of your seat from cover to cover.

4. House Rules by Jodi Picoult

A teenage boy with Asperger’s syndrome is being accused of murder, and this novel will take you on the journey of solving the case. There are complicated family dynamics because his mother wants to believe her son, but she struggles to communicate with him. His perspective of the case will make you feel sympathy for him, but you still wonder if he was possible of a crime of that magnitude.

5. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Taking place during World War II, this story revolves around two characters named Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a blind girl who is relocated to her uncle’s house in Saint-Malo to avoid bombs. Werner is an orphan from Germany, who is sent to an academy for Hitler youth, where he repairs radios. Eventually, Werner travels to Marie-Laure’s town, where their paths cross. This novel will make you want to learn more and more about each of their characters and delve into their friendship.

6. This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

Over the span of an hour, this book tells the story, from four different perspectives, of a school shooting. As a prevalent problem facing today’s society, this book is an important read because it helps you to empathize with the victims of gun violence. It is fast-paced and enticing, while also being heart breaking and tragic.

7. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Most of Sarah Dessen’s books are light hearted summer reads, but this one is more intense. Dealing with the issue of domestic violence, it gives readers a greater understanding of the issue that many people are forced to deal with. While the story is very entertaining and will grasp your intention, some moments are difficult to read. However, this novel is important to read because it addresses this big problem directly.

Hannah is a freshman at Miami University, where she is majoring in journalism. She has a puggle, named Bailey, loves tennis, and is a huge Survivor fan. Follow her on Instagram @hmbanas99
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs