This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Starr Carter is constantly living in two worlds: her poor and mostly black neighbor and the rich and mostly white prep school she attends. However, these two worlds start to collide when she witnesses her best friend get shot by a police officer. 

2. Little White Lies by Jennifer Lynn Barnes 

Sawyer Taft is thrown into southern society when her grandmother offers her a six-figure contract to participate in the debutante. She agrees and learns secretes about her family she would have never expected. 

3. What If It’s Us by Adam Silvera

Arthur and Ben are two very different boys, but they can’t tell if the universe is trying to get them together or pull them apart. 

“But what if they can’t nail a first date even after three do-overs?

What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?

What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?

But what if it is?

What if it’s us?” (If you’re a fan of Dear Evan Hansen, I recommend this book)

4. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Two strangers are told they are going to die today. Mateo and Rufus both for different reasons are looking for a new friend at the end of the day and they are able to do that through the app called “End Day.” Through this app, they have one last great adventure. 

5. Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

Stella and Will are two teens who fall in love, but with one obstacle in the way: they have to stay five feet apart or they could die. If you’re a fan of The Fault in Our Stars, then you’ll love this book. 

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer