5 Classic Must-Watch Horror Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
  1. The Shining (1980)

The Shining is a personal favorite of mine. 11/10 would recommend! Brilliantly done – the aesthetics are killer. Great characters and plot as well. Stanley Kubrick and Stephen King outdid themselves.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

A Nightmare on Elm Street is a film y’all need to check out simply because it’s a classic. The modern, remade movies are super lame – make sure to watch the original. Warning: Freddy is one creepy dude and ya might have trouble sleeping afterwards.

1. Carrie (1976)

Carrie had me ~terrified~ for a good while. Given this film was produced in the 70s, the effects are pretty impressive. The relatable plot reels you in and BAM – a bunch of crazy shenanigans go down and you’re hiding behind a pillow.

1. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

I actually watched Night of the Living Dead for the first time in a film analysis class here at Miami and really enjoyed it (FST 201 was amazing). Yeah, the effects aren’t realistic but that is what gives this movie a unique sort of beauty – an older production allows you step back and reflect on how much the industry has evolved!

1. The Exorcist (1973)

The Exorcist is the scariest movie I have ever seen, period. If you want scary – The Exorcist is just that. I don’t know why this particular film gives me chills. Probably because there is a lot of gore. UGH ew. Good movie though. Also well done for being produced in the early 70s.

Sydney Richardson

Miami (OH) '20

An undergraduate student at Miami University (OH) studying media and culture + psychology.
Mary Carroll

Miami (OH)

CCs