4 Books That Should Be on Your Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.
  1. Still Here by Rowan Blanchard

Still Here just came out this year. It features art and writing from Rowan Blanchard, star of Girl Meets World and new movie A Wrinkle in Time, and her favorite photographers, poets, and friends. This book is an unedited glimpse into Rowan’s life with raw diary entries, poems, and personal photos. It was created to reflect on teenagers and young adults lives in today’s world and the power they hold.

1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle

A Wrinkle in Time is a story of science, fantasy, darkness, light, fear, and bravery. This book is a story of adventure and journey for belonging. It is now coming to the big screen this March and making history where a young girl of color is playing the lead character in a science fiction story.

1. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Goldfinch tells the story of a boy named Theo who survived a car crash that killed his mother. His father abandoned him at a young age so he was taken in by a wealthy friend. He feels isolated in his new world, but clings onto a painting that reminds him of this mother that ultimately drives him deeper into the world of art. This book explores the mysteries of love, identity, and art. It is also being made into a movie that is set to star Ansel Elgort from Baby Driver and Finn Wolfhard from Stranger Things.  

1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give is about a sixteen-year-old girl who is constantly going back and forth between her two worlds: her poor neighborhood and the suburban prep school she goes to. However, her world is torn apart when she witnesses her childhood best friend shot by a police officer. Her friend was unarmed. This book explores the ongoing issue of police brutality and how it affects the loved ones who are left behind.

Feature Photo: https://thesestrongleatherbindings.wordpress.com/tag/all-warrior-cat-books/

Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer