Sixteen Candles cake scene
Sixteen Candles cake scene
Universal Pictures

22 Things I’ve Regretted in my 22 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

My 22nd birthday is coming up this week, so I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting and thinking ahead. It’s crazy to believe that I’ve been alive for so long and still have so much life still to live. 

I’ve looked back on a lot of my fond memories from college and wonder how on Earth I’ve made so many life-altering friendships and connections. I’ve looked back on high school and laughed at all the funny and awkward moments I had during those years. 

With all of this lamenting for my past, I decided I wanted to write some sort of memorial for my life so far. I see a lot of people writing things like “20 things I’ve learned by 20” and thought of doing something similar. But that’s been done before and I’m never one to go along with the ordinary. So, instead of doing 22 things I’ve learned/loved/laughed at/whatever else in my 22 years, I’ll be telling you 22 things I regret. 

1. I wish I would’ve taken more pictures.
  2. I regret not doing all of the assigned readings in my classes.

3. I wish I would’ve spoken up more in class.

4. I wish I would’ve stood up for myself against people who bring me down.

5. I regret not getting involved in more clubs.

6. I regret not journalling more. 

7. I wish I would’ve said yes more.

8. I regret not talking to that cool girl in my freshman year English class.

9. I wish I’d gone out during the week more.

10. I shouldn’t have been afraid to be myself around new people.

11. I should’ve kept up playing the cello.

12. I wish I kept a book at my bedside table to read before bed at night.

13. I wish I’d continued to play tennis in college.

14. I regret the time I spent with shitty boys when I could’ve been out with my friends.

15. I wish I’d spent less time getting ready to go out and more time actually out.

16. I shouldn’t have been afraid to wear clothes that make me happy even if they aren’t trendy.

17. I wish I went to office hours.

18. I regret not leaving Oxford for more day trips to Cincinnati.

19. I regret joining Greek Life just because that’s what everyone else did.

20. I wish I’d told myself “I love you” more.

21. I should’ve eaten more candy.

22. I wish I called my family more.

I didn’t write this list out to beat myself up about the coulda-shoulda-woulda’s that I’ve missed out on so far. It’s more of a reminder to myself and to everyone else that time keeps passing and it’s better to risk things than to regret them.

Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20