2012 Homecoming Queen: Rebecca Zemmelman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Meet Miami’s 2012 Homecoming Queen, Rebecca Zemmelman! No one has ever made balancing five different organizations, a sorority, and an on campus job look so easy.

Greek Leadership: President of Alpha Delta Pi

Campus Involvement: Exec member for Amicus Curiae (Miami’s Pre-Law Society), member of CAC (Campuc Activities Council) for 2 years, wrote for the Miami student, initiated member of Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honors Frat), member of college democrats, attends Hillel (organization for Jewish students) and formerly their PR intern.

Internships/Jobs:

• Past: During Miami’s Inside Washington program this past summer, she interned for Congressman Kucinich.
  • Current: She works at the Rec as an aerobic instructor.

HC: What are your career goals?
RZ:
I am currently in the application process for law school. I would love to work with human and civil rights issues, specifically with juveniles and families! ??

HC: How do you manage balancing all of your activities, and which activity do you think gives the most back to you?
RZ:
Let’s just say… I don’t know what I would do without my Lilly planner. My friends have always said that I am slightly over-committed with my involvement on campus, but I wouldn’t have it any other way- I thrive on being busy, even if it means I’m “that girl” who is quite literally sprinting around campus from meetings to class to more meetings.

Professionally, I’ve gotten the most out of the Pre-Law Society, Amicus Curiae; however, I couldn’t imagine what my life would be like without my sisters in Alpha Delta Pi. Being president of the sorority sometimes feels like a part-time or even full-time job, but my sisters are the sweetest, most genuine, inspiring, and beautiful women on the inside and the out. Everything I have put into the sorority, I have gotten out 1000X more, and then some!

HC: Tell me about your job at the rec! Any good stories about the people you teach?
RZ:
I started teaching Water Aerobics at the Rec my sophomore year, and this semester I am teaching three classes a week. I think I’ve only ever had three or four student-aged participants in my classes (and they were my friends); most of the participants are in their 70’s and older. There is one woman, Louise, who is 96 years old and comes to almost every class. They are such rockstars! They always wish me good luck on my exams, and invite me to their birthday parties- it’s the best job ever! When they found out I was Homecoming Queen, they were seriously so adorable!??

HC: Who is your inspiration?
RZ:
My mom is my inspiration hands down. We are so much alike as is, but if I can accomplish half of what she has in her legal career while being as respected, well-liked, and overall incredible, I will consider myself very lucky. Plus, we both love shopping (I especially love when she takes me shopping…#brokecollegegirlprobs).??

HC: Any particular love interest in your life?
RZ:
I’ve been dating my boyfriend, Jimmy, officially for almost two years, but we actually started dating after Senior Prom in High School! He is a Sig Ep at Ohio State and is studying to be a dentist! He’s a trooper for putting up with me for all of these years… And he’s pretty cute too!

HC: How was interning in DC this summer?
RZ:
Absolutely incredible! I would recommend the Inside Washington program at Miami to anyone and everyone! I met so many famous people that I now read about daily in the newspapers and online. I also made some lifelong friends! Actually, one of my best friends from D.C. was the one who made my Facebook event for Homecoming Queen! I would love to go back there and work on the Hill again. It is such an exciting place to be where young people have so many opportunities at such early stages in their careers.

HC: How was your homecoming queen experience?
RZ:
I was quite honestly shocked that I even made it through to the primaries, but the whole process was so much fun! I met really awesome people on court. My favorite moment was jumping in the moon bounce with our sashes… no regrets. When I won, it was honestly one of the best feelings in my entire life! I felt so honored, but more than that, I felt really loved and supported! Plus, EJ Corporan, the HC King, is by far one of the most awesome people ever (Can I nominate him for the next Her Campus Campus Cutie section?)

HC: If you had any advice for incoming freshman about college what would it be??
RZ:
Get to know people in your classes. I have made some of my best friends from talking to people who sit next to me. Just be nice and friendly to everyone you come in contact with, and by senior year, this campus will be so unbelievably facey. Also, get to know your professors! They are amazing resources for your future endeavors.

HC: What is your favorite part about Miami?
RZ:
The list could seriously go on and on, but I have to say, I love the overall lifestyle at Miami. It is such a “work hard play hard” kind of campus where everyone is really motivated and competitive, but in a good way. This school has so many opportunities to offer, and I am so jealous of the freshmen who are just getting started!

Alaine Perconti graduated from Miami University (OH) with degrees in Marketing and Journalism. She is the co-founder of the Miami (OH) Chapter and was President from 2011-2013. After graduation, Alaine moved to Cincinnati, OH where she works for a digital marketing agency and is an active volunteer for a local animal rescue. As an HC Alum, Alaine is now a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and is excited to be a positive influence and professional partner for CC's in her new role.