15 Things That Make Miami University The Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As Robert Frost has famously said, Miami University is “the most beautiful campus that there ever was.” But if you don’t believe him, read these 15 awesome things that make Miami University an amazing college to attend.

1. McCracken Hall: 2nd Most Photographed Building in Ohio

It’s hard to walk through Miami’s campus without noticing the beauty of McCracken Hall. Almost everyone familiar with Miami University would not be surprised to find out it is the second most photographed building in Ohio. Snapping a pic of yourself next to the sundial with McCracken in the background is the perfect Instagram post.  

2. Hockey

Nothing beats a hockey game at Miami University. Goggin is constantly filled to capacity with proud Miami students and families. The student section is filled with spirit and slightly inappropriate cheers that encourage the Redhawks to victory. Getting decked out in Miami apparel and cheering loudly as you can with your friends is always a great time.  

3. Red Bricks and The Fall

Walking through Miami’s campus in the fall makes you feel like you are in a movie. It has the beautiful red bricks, colorful leaves, and bright green grass. Waking up for an 8:30 on a Monday morning isn’t so bad when you have such gorgeous scenery to walk through.

4. The Greek Life

Miami University is known for it’s Greek life. Joining a sorority is a great way to make friends, support a good cause, and become more involved in campus. With 21 sororities to choose from, most girls who rush are likely to find a sorority that feels like home. Greek life allows college girls to form friendships that turn into lifelong sisterhood.  Sororities are a fun, positive part of many Miami students’ lives.  

5. The Fashion

No matter where you walk on Miami’s campus, you are bound to run into student’s sporting some of the most stylish brands today. Anything from Vineyard Vines to Urban Outfitters is frequently present on campus. If you want to buy some new fall fashion items, head to uptown where you can buy a new Patagonia vest or a free people dress. At Miami University, students know how to dress.  

6. All the Clubs/ Organizations

Clubs are a great way to get to meet new people and get involved. With about 685 clubs to choose from, it is very easy to become involved at Miami. A Cappella groups, professional fraternities, church organizations, and quidditch are just a few of the clubs available for students to join. All the different clubs host a Mega Fair at the beginning of the school year where students can discover all the organizations Miami has to offer. Miami University is a great school for student involvement.

7. Uptown

If you are ever bored on Miami’s campus, a trip to uptown will quickly fix that. Oxford’s downtown area is filled with tasty restaurants, cute boutiques, and fun bars. It is hard to beat eating a cheesy Bagel and Deli sandwich or bashing on some Orange Leaf ice cream. Dancing at bars like New Bar or Brick with friends is a great way to spend a Saturday night. You can shop at stores like Apple Tree and find a cute dress to wear when dancing the night away.

8. On Campus Dining

You don’t have to walk all the way to uptown if you want to eat some delicious food. With over 15 dining options, it’s hard to get sick of on campus food. Miami has many traditional dining halls and also some tasty restaurants. The Maplestreet station has 6 different restaurants, where you can find pizza, stir fry, omelets, cheeseburgers, street tacos, or sweets. The Armstrong Student Center serves a wide variety of food, including a 24/7 restaurant that has food similar to Steak’N Shake. There are food options everywhere you go, including the Rec Center, the library, or the business school. You won’t go hungry at Miami.

Keeping all these facts in mind, it seems crazy to want to leave a place as awesome as Miami. But Miami’s study abroad program is top-notch, ranking #2 in the nation for the student participation. Miami offers semester abroad opportunities where you can study anywhere in the world. If you don’t want to be away from Oxford for so long, you can use winter or summer break as a time to travel around the world. The cost to study abroad at Miami is very similar to the tuition you pay on campus, so why not go?

12. The concerts/ Entertainment

Miami does not let its small town location stop it from bringing famous entertainment to town. Performers like Lil Dicky and TimesFlies put on concerts at Brick Street. Miami University had famous comedian Seth Meyers put on a stand up act for students and parents to enjoy for parents weekend. You won’t miss out on famous entertainment at Miami.

13. Intramural Sports

If you were highly active with sports in high school, you don’t have to give it up in college. At Miami, there are tons of sports to play, ranging from sand volleyball, soccer, or broomball. Grab some friends and you can easily start an intramural team.

14. The Rec/ Workout Classes

If sports really aren’t your thing, but you want to stay in shape, the rec center is your answer! With numerous ellipticals, treadmills, weight machines, basketball courts, and swimming pools, it will be hard to leave the rec without break a sweat. You can also sign up for workout classes like spinning, yoga, or zumba. The rec is a great component of Miami University.

15. Academics

Last, but certainly not least, is the academics. The reason you go to college. Miami is one of the top academic colleges in Ohio, with a competitive acceptance rate and an abundance of bright students. Miami has a wide range of majors to choose from, allowing you study hard and achieve your dream job. Though there are many exciting things going on at Miami, academics is still the most important part of college. With top notch professors and many career training opportunities, it is definitely possible to achieve your future ambitions at Miami.

Love and Honor

Hi my name is Melissa Mengos and I am a freshman writer for Her Campus at Miami University.
Shelby Hyde

Miami (OH)

Shelby Hyde is a senior journalism and professional writing double major with hopes of working in the wide world of publishing upon graduating in May of 2016. This Miami University (OH) Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief is a fashion fanatic with a knack for words and bringing them to life. Shelby has had a wide variety of experiences throughout her four years at Miami, including working as Creative Services and Special Sections intern for Cincinnati Magazine, as well as a three-time returning style guru intern for well known fashion site, CollegeFashionista.com.The 22 year-old is Hoosier born and bred with a New Yorker status pending, and she's looking for something BIG! All inquiries can be forwarded to: shelbyyhyde@hercampus.com