barbie movie behind the scenes
barbie movie behind the scenes
Warner Bros

My Thoughts on The Oscar Nominees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

In the year 2023, we saw a wide variety of films released from the phenomenal Barbie to one of my favorite new Disney favorites, Elemental. As you all know, award season is upon us, and it is a time to commemorate not only actors, musicians, directors, costume designers, and so much more. I look forward to seeing the red-carpet fashion and giving my thoughts on whose outfits are the best (even though I could never afford a fraction of their look). Each year I am on the edge of my seat watching to see if my favorites are going to win in their category. If you’re like me, then read along to see my reviews and thoughts on this year’s Oscars nominees!

(PSA I will be leaving some categories out of this review)

Actor in a leading role

Starting with our first category we have some big hitter actors like Cillian Murphy from the infamous Oppenheimer and Bradley Cooper starring in Maestro. As someone who has personally not seen any of the films from which the actors are nominated, I have to take a wild guess and say Cillian Murphy has an extremely high shot at taking home another win (still disappointed Barbie didn’t make this list, but I digress).

Actor in a supporting role

My personal favorite male actor in a 2023 film is Ryan Gosling from the absolutely amazing film Barbie. He is definitely a shoo-in on this list. He does something few men before him have done and is an icon as Ken. Another fan favorite is Robert Downey Jr. for Oppenheimer, yet another one on their long list of nominations. 

Actress in a leading role

Now I’m sure you’re expecting me to list Margot Robbie’s name for her role as Barbie but shockingly enough she was not listed. We do however have Emma Stone for the film Poor Things which has done quite well in award season thus far.

Actress in a supporting role

For all fellow Barbie fans, we have a redemption with this list with the nomination of America Ferrera for her role in Barbie where she delivered one of the best speeches about womanhood as I’ve ever heard. We also have Emily Blunt for her role in Oppenheimer, and Danielle Brooks for her role in the incredible film The Color Purple.

Animated feature film

Two of my favorite movies of 2023 are on this list, Disney’s Elemental and Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse. Elemental has quickly become one of my favorite Disney movies of all time. From its imaginative storyline and characters to its exceptional love story, it’s one of the best I’ve seen from them in a long time. Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse pleasantly surprised me with its beautiful art style & incredible film score. It was an incredible watch. 

Costume design

The incredible costume designer Jaqueline Durran from Barbie is who I’m betting my money on for sure! The pink, the recreations, the finesse, and no other costumes did it better. (Again we have competition coming from Oppenheimer).

Directing 

If like me you were holding your breath to see if Greta Gerwig, director of Barbie would be on this list, unfortunately, we were robbed once again. We have director Christopher Nolan from… you guessed it Oppenheimer and Yorgos Lanthimos from Poor Things

Makeup and hairstyling

We have nominations for Maestro, Golda, Oppenheimer, Poor Things, and Society of the Snow. (I was hoping for Barbie’s name on this list but…).

Music (original score)

Hearing Ryan Gosling sing for the first time ever was a life-altering experience for me, and that is why I am certain the song “I’m Just Ken” from the movie Barbie was nominated. The Barbie nominations don’t stop there, Billie Eilish’s breathtaking song “What Was I Made For” made the list as well (not an eye was dry in the theaters when this song came on, especially mine). 

Best picture

This list is a hefty one with 10 nominations, but there’s only one I’m concerned about. And of course, that’s none other than Barbie. But of course, we also have familiar favorites Oppenheimer and Poor Things on this list as well as others.

Production design

One of the best set designs of all time has to be that of Barbie, the world that was created for Barbieworld was incredible, and nothing that has ever been done before, so I’m very confident with their nomination on this list. Oppenheimer continues to be a strong contender.

Writing (adapted screenplay)

At least one time on this list we see director Greta Gerwig’s name for her writing alongside Noah Baumbach for Barbie. If America Ferrera’s speech about womanhood didn’t tell you enough I don’t know what will.

Those are my thoughts on this year’s Oscar nominees! Did your favorites make the list?

Kami Chadwick

Merrimack '26

I am a chapter member at Merrimack College with a Communication and Media Major. I hope to work in advertising or social media in the future. I am a sophomore transfer student as well. I enjoy cheerleading, organizing, reading, and decorating. I have a 1 year old brother!