This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

Jonathan (Jonny) Lashyn is a native of Saskatchewan, Canada and a freshman hockey player here at Merrimack. Being from Canada, hockey basically runs in his blood. Jonny was born on December 7, 1992 and at age nine he knew he was a hockey player. You may not know his name just yet, but I’m sure many of you have seen number 7 on the ice. Even as a freshman, Jonny is a huge part of Merrimack Hockey, and a great defenseman. 

Although he ultimately chose Merrimack, Jonny was also recruited by North Dakota, Princeton, Colorado College, Sacred Heart and Brown. Jonny chose Merrimack over the other five prestigious schools mainly because of a former teammate, Clayton Jardine. Jonny and Clayton had both played for the Camrose Kodiaks, which is a team in the AJHL (Alberta Junior Hockey League), and continue to play together here at Merrimack.

Hockey is a huge part of Jonny’s life. He would much rather be playing the game he loves for the rest of his life than sitting at a desk in some office. Majoring in Sports Medicine, Jonny hopes to be involved with sports for as long as possible. Jonny hopes to travel the world someday, see new things, and meet new people. Eventually, he wants to settle down, get married and have kids, but not anytime in the near future.

Although only a freshman, Jonny has achieved a great amount, playing hockey for a D1 school and majoring in sports medicine. We wish him the best of luck in the future, as a hockey player and a student here at Merrimack.