This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

In every coming of age movie they have a killer backup playlist that can tell the whole story on its own. In my own life,  I love being the main character and putting on my headphones and canceling out the world; It’s the best medicine. Songs in coming of age movies capture the audience and truly makes them relive the times in their life where they were finding who they were, having no responsibilities, and living the highs and lows of their teenage years all in the span of an hour and forty five minutes. These movies have set the norms for what being 16-21 are and sometimes real life doesn’t correlate with the silver screen so we find ourselves living vicariously through these characters and events. Here are 10 songs I would put into the next coming of age movie if I were directing. 

Everybody Wants to Rule the World: Tears for Fears 

This song made the list because when you are in your teenage years you feel invincible and this song truly encapsulates that energy. The part of a movie that this would fit into is the friend group running around town possibly causing havoc or for example the iconic “Perks of Being a Wallflower” driving through a tunnel scene. I picture this as the scene because these scenes emulate freedom and these actions follow suit. 

Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfield 

This song was just in the new Anyone but You movie, which I thought was a good story for another time. Growing up this was my favorite song, and wouldn’t you know it was at the end of a coming of age movie, “Ice Princess,” if you were curious. At this point in the movie I feel that the friend group got into a fight and this song comes on the radio and then they just start singing and forget why they were fighting in the first place. 

Pursuit of Happiness: Kid Cudi 

This song made the cut because it has good vibes. Often the character in a coming of age movie has to figure out who they are. I just picture them going through a hardship situation and putting this song on in their headphones and all their issues wash away. This song belongs in a coming of age movie because it would help to paint the picture that while life at the moment may suck; in the end we are all on the pursuit to find happiness and life does get better. 

Stand By Me: Prince Royce

This song is just so good. There are so many renditions of it but I like this one because it has a different energy to it. This one made the cut because it would be a song played at the beginning of the movie where the protagonist is close-knit with their family. Or the protagonist struggling and then the family/friends comfort the person. 

Supercut: Lorde

Just a bop at the moment but it’s so good. I picture this as another good tunnel/screaming at the top of your lungs scene. It can truly tell the story of a relationship in the early stages. Just a good time had by all. 

Francesca: Hozier 

This makes the cut because if the movie is about me then obviously it would be a good character introduction song. No other reason. 

Fast Car: Jonas Blue 

This is the only acceptable version because it’s hype and you need hype for a coming of age movie. I love Tracey and Luke but it’s just not the vibe. 

The Thrill: Wiz Khalifa 

I love this song, it gives frat basement vibes but like in the movie this would be when the protagonist realizes their self worth. This would truly enhance the plot because it serves the time period and is relatable. 

Ribs: Lorde

Just the typical coming of age song. No other comment. 

It Was A Good Day: Ice Cube

Just a reminder that life isn’t that crappy. This is more an ending song it gives like “The Breakfast Club ” when everyone is leaving the detention and figuring out the connection post detention. It’s a different genre than the others on this list, but it feels needed to build context. 

The full playlist can be accessed through: soundtrack – playlist by gabriella | Spotify

Frankie Maiuri

Merrimack '25

Frankie is a junior Elementary Education and HDHS major. After graduating, she hopes to have her own classroom and teach 2nd or 3rd grade. In her freetime, she enjoys figure skating, playing softball, hanging out with friends, listening to music and shopping.