This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

I’m sure many people know just how difficult long distance relationships are. The distance being the most frustrating (obviously). I myself am in one. I am currently a senior in college. My boyfriend lives 2 hours away while I’m at college, and he also lives 2 hours away when I am home. As frustrating as this is, I find myself learning new tips on how to thrive in a long distance relationship, and I want to share these tips with you 

The first tip I learned was it’s so important to work on making the drives when we are able to see each other fair. This means we both take turns driving to each other so it doesn’t get overwhelming or repetitive. I also find that it is a bonus being able to hang out with my boyfriend and my friends at the same time. I would say he’s even a part of the friend group or one of the girlies. The second tip is to communicate! I truly want to stress the importance of how important it is to talk with each other. If something is bothering you, tell them. Trust me, it is much better to communicate how you feel instead of holding it in. In my experience, I have learned that bottling your feelings up can lead to stress and even worse arguments. One of the best suggestions I have learned is to call when you want to talk about more serious things. This allows you to hear your partner’s voice. I found that when we do argue, communicating over a phone allows for a resolution. Sometimes you can misunderstand someone’s tone over text messages. With a simple phone call you can prevent that from happening. I also find that FaceTime can be a great way to talk to each other. I know it’s not the same as actually being with your partner, but it allows you to see each other’s faces. One of my final suggestions is that it can be fun to watch shows and movies, and talk to each other about the episodes. One of my friends also had recommended to me how playing GamePigeon games with each other can feel like you are actually playing the game together. I absolutely loved that tip. It really felt like we were playing the game together. 

I know that long distance relationships can be incredibly challenging, but in the end it is worth it. I hope my tips helped!

Nia Renzi

Merrimack '24

Communication Major and WGS minor at Merrimack College