This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Earlier in this week, Adele announced that she will be going on a world tour. Fans were at first disappointed when Adele confirmed that there were no albums to be released in 2014, but her long awaited tour has the headlines buzzing. Adele has kept her fans waiting for a new album since 2011. Since then, her surgery and newborn have kept her away from her music.

Adele is known worldwide for her raw, emotional music. The lyrics ring of truth from her past and current turmoil. She writes about her problems because that is the only way she can express them. She tells the Rolling Stone Magazine in 2012, “I can’t talk about my feelings to anyone. To my mum, to my therapist, to friends, to myself in the mirror – I can’t really do it. I’ve always written down how I feel.” The honesty and authenticity in her writing is what makes Adele so relatable, and is largely responsible for her success. Since her first album, 19, Adele has continued to write about broken relationships, her absent alcoholic father, and other difficulties she faces.

It’s not only the lyrics that make her songs genuine. It’s the music. Adele has been known to practice a song when her emotions are still running high, record the song months later, and choose the demo over the polished recording. She does this to capture the true emotion behind the song. Even in her everyday life, Adele has stayed true to her ways and expressed herself consistently. Adele smoked and drank her way to the top, and hasn’t quit. Some of her most popular songs were written after she had a couple of drinks.

Adele’s dream of singing started when she was fourteen years old. She wrote songs and was eventually discovered on MySpace. From there, she was contacted by XL Records and signed a deal with them in 2006. Since then, her music career has exploded. Her first album, 19, was a success in Europe. Her second album, 21, brought her fame to the United States. Since then she has taken a break from making her music. For most singers, this would have been a career ending mistake, but for Adele, it just increases the suspense of what she will do next.

So what happened during Adele’s break? Adele had a surgery to remove a growth on her vocal cords. A polyp had hemorrhaged and had to be removed, and then the site of the polyp had to be repaired. After her surgery, she couldn’t speak, much less sing. For several weeks, she had to communicate through a phone app while her vocal chords healed. Even after she had recovered from her surgery, her singing abilities were limited. It was months before she regained her full abilities without risking further damage to her vocal chords. Her break was extended when she found out she was pregnant with her now two-year-old son, Angelo. In the meantime, Aretha Franklin made a cover of Rolling in the Deep for her new album coming out in 2015 Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics.

Recently, Adele was spotted planning with Beyoncé. Beyoncé and her husband, Jay Z, approached Adele and make her an offer to produce songs and tour together. Jay Z even wrote a song especially for Adele. These plans have not yet been confirmed. Could this dynamic duo be the next step in Adele’s career?