Top 5 College Hot Spots in Macon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Mercer University is a pretty awesome campus with plenty of things to do and restaurants to go eat in. But, what happens when you want to find a new hang out spot? Or you want different food from what’s available on campus? Well, worry no more! Here is a list of some cool places in Macon to definitely check out:

1) Macon Museum of Arts and Sciences: A wonderful museum with plenty of galleries and exhibitions on display. Right now there is a dinosaur exhibit, a Native American exhibit, and an Apollo space mission gallery amongst others. There also is a newly renovated planetarium and a small live animal zoo to explore. 

2) Ocumulgee Heritage Trail: A great place to be outdoors and explore around. It gives a great feeling of being in nature without actually having to leave the city of Macon. The trail has nice scenery to walk or bike on while following along the Ocumulgee River. Bring your bathing suits and you can swim or float in the river too.

3) Riverside Outlet Mall: For those of you who love to shop, this place is for you. The outlet mall has numerous shops and eateries to stop by and browse through. There’s a Barnes and Noble store perfect for reading and studying. Among the shops there is a Charming Charlie’s, American Eagle, and Victoria’s Secret. 

4) Capital Cox Theater: A perfect setup for watching a play or concert in downtown Macon. Plenty of live bands and musical plays perform there throughout the year. There’s seating in the back but it has a wide area for dancing or mashing in the front. The theater has recently gone under new management so bands that perform at the Hummingbird Stage and Taproom will also perform at the Capital. 

5) Washington Park: A great place for watching bands perform and to just hang out with friends. Some concerts perform during every “Second Sunday” which is a small gathering in the park with picnics and such. People can either bring their own food, or they can buy food for a small fee. 

These are just a few places you can discover around Macon as awesome places to hang out, study, or party as much as you want! 

Photo courtesy by: http://collegetownmacon.com/?p=126

Olivia is a Business Major at Mercer University, pursuing a degree in Management and a minor in Marketing. With love for the arts she aspire to someday open her own bakery and non-profit organization for the arts. With a passion for all thing in life she hopes to spread the joy of community and creativity.