Successful Senior: Shaynna Rodrigues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Major:  History 

Year:  Senior

Campus Involvement:  Chi Omega, Peer Advisor, University Center Zumba Instructor

Favorite thing about Mercer:  My favorite thing about Mercer has been the fact that I have met a lot of wonderful people, but there is still the chance to meet more.  Mercer is a small campus, which I like because I can walk into the caf and know people, but it’s not too small.

What did you learn the most in college?  I think one of the most useful skills that I’ve learned in college is how to manage my time.  I’ve always liked to get involved in lots of organizations, so when I came to Mercer that was the first thing I did.  The problem was that I took on too much, with classes, homework, adjusting to school, and three dance organizations.  College has been much more enjoyable since I learned to scale back a bit and manage my time a little better.

Tips for Students:  Go to class.  This might sound like the simplest thing, but skipping class really puts you behind and out of the loop.  Plus, we’re paying for these classes, so might as well get our money’s worth!

Goal in Life:  I had a lot of great mentors in my life growing up that really helped me become the person that I am today.  I really want to be able to have the same impact on students when I work with them.  As cheesy as it is, you can’t change everything in the world, but you can change the world for one person.

Role Model:  My mom has been a great role model for me.  She is one of the most loving people that I know, and she approaches everyone and everything with as much love as possible.  I’ve learned from her that sometimes we can get too absorbed in the day to day and “dealing” with people.   My mom remains patient and a lot of the time likes to perform “little acts of kindness”.  It seems silly but seeing the way she can improve someone’s life by a simple act.

How do you make new friends?  I’m not really sure!  I just kind of talk to people I guess.  I’m not very shy in that aspect, and it just kind of goes from there!

Future Plans:  I’m still in the process of figuring that out right now!  I want to teach high school history, and so I’m looking into available jobs right now!

How do you define success?  Success is where you yourself are happy with what you accomplished and your life at that point.  It doesn’t matter if you become the CEO of some big company making millions of dollars if you aren’t happy with yourself and what you had to do to get to that point.

Woot! I'm an indian chick who is kind of different. I am friendly and social