This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

It’s the holiday season, and several of you may be traveling this break, or traveling back to campus soon. Just so you don’t get bored on those long car rides, I whipped up a fun playlist packed with 23 nostalgic, sing-along-able tunes. There are also plenty of car and traveling references, for your enjoyment.

1.     Fast In My Car – Paramore

Although the band suffered the loss of two members, they’re not slowing down. From touring with Fall Out Boy on the “Monumentour” last summer to the release of their self-titled album, Paramore has transcended the airwaves and landed on mainstream radio.

2.     Chocolate – The 1975

The 1975’s success has been long coming. They had been a band for ten years before their huge break this year. Their music is an experience, rather than something you just listen to. So be encased by their ethereal 80s sound.

I’m aware I included The 1975 on the fall playlist, but you know what? I really like The 1975.

3.     Naïve – The Kooks

I’m throwing it back. The Kooks have been in the indie rock scene since the mid-2000s. Their most recent album, Listen, dabbles in more than just indie rock. This is their massive hit from 2006.

4.     The Kids Aren’t Alright – Fall Out Boy

Nearly two years after their return in 2013 from a four year hiatus, Fall Out Boy has announced a their new album, American Beauty/American Psycho, to be released on January 20th of 2015. The band has already released three singles from the album, which include “Centuries”, “Immortals”, and this song.

5.     Everywhere I Go (Kings and Queens) – New Politics

New Politics’ music is very much in-your-face, as is the lead singer’s break-dancing on stage. With their extensive touring schedule this year, which included a headlining tour in the U.S., they’ve grown a fan-base to call their own.

6.     Tongue Tied – Grouplove

Grouplove has two albums out, Never Trust a Happy Song, released in 2011, and Spreading Rumors, released in 2013. They’re known for their quirky and catchy style.

7.     Beware The Dog – The Griswolds

The Griswolds are a different breed. Formed in 2012 in Australia, this band has just begun to make their American debut.

8.     Night Changes – One Direction

This song is dreamy at best. Sometimes you just need five boys singing into your soul.

9.     Running With The Boys – LIGHTS

Valerie Poxleitner started writing music at a very young age. She has tenacity for marrying electronic sounds with alternative rock. She now goes by the stage name LIGHTS; this is from the singer-songwriter’s third album, Little Machines.

10. Breaking Up My Bones – Vinyl Theatre

New to the Fueled By Ramen label, Vinyl Theatre is a mish-mash of several genres, which goes to show music is not grouped in specific boxes anymore. In today’s music world, what’s up is down and what’s forward is backwards. What Vinyl Theatre is though, is good.

11. 40 Day Daydream – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes is almost a cult, with the number of band members coming out to 10. Their music possesses an infectious, happy vibe and they are known for their lively performances. They are festival veterans, having been on past Coachella, Bonnaroo, and Lollapalooza lineups.

12. It’s Time – Imagine Dragons

I don’t think these guys need an introduction. They’ve become a gradual force, ever since the drop of their 2012 album, Night Visions. Since then their career and fan base have grown tremendously. Oh, if you haven’t seen their and Kendrick Lamar’s performance at the 2014 Grammy’s, you haven’t lived yet.

13. Turnin’ – Young Rising Sons

Young Rising Sons is new to the music scene but are gaining momentum quickly. They formed in New Jersey in 2010 and were signed to Dirty Canvas Music/Interscope Records in 2013. Since then they have toured with The 1975 and their single “High” was featured on Fox’s “Red Band Society” and ABC’s “Selfie”.

14. Ride – Lana Del Rey

Queen. Not Beyoncé-level of course, but Queen.

15. Style – Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift has definitely hit a sweet spot with this album. If you haven’t liked Taylor Swift in the past, you may like her now.

Unfortunately, her record label sucks and has copyrighted most videos of her song on Youtube. But here’s a download link, if you didn’t get your hands on 1989 just yet.

16. Electric Feel – MGMT

This is THE college kid anthem. If you haven’t been shocked like an electric eel or had your electric feel turned on, then you’ve been missing out on this trippy band.

17. Of The Night – Bastille

Bastille’s synth-pop sound has been a breath of fresh air for radio. They’ve achieved worldwide success, selling two million copies of their debut album Bad Blood. Enjoy this twinkly track, released as their second single for their extended reissue of the album, called All This Bad Blood.

18. Maiden – MØ

You may recognize her voice off of Iggy Azalea’s “Beg For It”, but you’ll probably be hearing her own songs on the radio soon. MØ is a Danish electro-pop singer, and has paved a way for herself in a genre that already possesses the likes of Grimes. Her debut album, No Mythologies To Follow, was released this year through Sony Music Entertainment.

19. We’re Coming Up – For The Foxes

For The Foxes likes to experiment with their sound. Signed to Hopeless Records, the band was on the lineup for Warped Tour 2013. They haven’t done much since, but here’s to hoping.

20. Love and Drugs – The Maine

Since their pop-punk days in 2007, The Maine’s sound has evolved into a mature rock sound. With four albums and one EP under their belt, they’re a seasoned band.

21. The Great Escape – Boys Like Girls

Shall we throwback again? I think we shall. Middle-school me is bouncing around inside with pure joy. However, present me is sad that these guys basically disappeared.

22. Ready To Go (Get Me Out Of My Mind) – Panic! At The Disco

It’s not news that Panic! changes with every album. With this song, we revisit their third album, Vices and Virtues, which is a perfect transition from their younger, Pretty Odd days to their newest release, Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die! Now isn’t that a fun title?

23. The Sea – Swim Deep

Be ready to have the urge to runaway to the beach and soak up some sunshine with a lover. That’s what 80s pop-inspired UK band Swim Deep does to you. The title of this song says it all. They currently have one album out, titled Where The Heaven Are We.

So hop in a car with your bosom buddies and embark on your adventure, because we all know the best music is the kind that takes you somewhere else.

Sources: Spotify

Jaclyn Ramkissoon is an aspiring journalist. Her hobbies include not being tall enough to reach things, losing socks in the wash, petting stray dogs, and being able to quote Back To The Future on command. She's 90 lbs of pure pop-punk.