The Real Reason Leonardo Hasn’t Won an Oscar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

America experienced a new tragedy in the past week. Leonardo Dicaprio, America’s sweetheart, did not receive an Academy Award for Best Male Actor. And the world weeps.

The internet really wanted Leo to win, and for good reason. This guy is nearly perfect. He’s proud of his career, especially his first break-through role as Jack Dawson in Titanic (contrary to popular belief). He frequently donates to charity (most recently a whopping $3 million to save tigers,  SO PRECIOUS). And he’s also a total bad-ass (Buzzfeed’s words, not mine).

(someone just give that man an Oscar already!)

But if you don’t think he deserves an Oscar for being a flawless human being, he definitely deserves one for his amazing acting skills. Yes, I’m talking about his composure after losing year after year

(Leo handling his losses with grace and dignity)

Look at that face. That’s the face of a man who doesn’t need an Oscar, but deserves one.

Now, Leo has been flawless these past years. His roles in Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and the Wolf of Wall Street have gotten great reviews from audiences, but still haven’t been recognized by the Academy. Yet, year after year, he is still nominated. You know what this means, folks: conspiracy.

Think about it. It’s obvious that Leo has a strong fan base that wants him to win. Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I tuned in for the award show was to see who won Best Male Actor (congrats, Mcconaughey). And I will be watching next year as well, mainly just to watch Leo win (he’s GOING to win.) While many people watch the Academy Awards every year for various reasons, the fact that Leo hasn’t won yet seems to be a well-known, running joke.

Obviously, the Academy is pulling something.

Sure, they could’ve picked any actor or actress to pull this stunt, but Leo is perfect. He’s an iconic figure, someone who has been in the business a long time and has acted in countless amazing roles (Gangs of New York, The Departed. Shutter Island, Inception, SERIOUSLY THE LIST JUST KEEPS GOING). He’s also charming, has a great sense of humor, and is just a sweetie pie (he brought his mom to the Oscars, people). Leo is just the kind of awesome guy who doesn’t need a naked, golden statue to solidify his career.  But, we, the public, sure enough do.

They’re pulling our strings with this adorable face. (I told you, he’s a sweetie pie).

And if you don’t agree that Leonardo Dicaprio is completely amazing, then you probably haven’t seen this clip from Saturday Night Live:

We’re on to you, Academy. We know what you’re doing. And we want Leo to win. #TeamLeo2k15

Katie is a sophomore studying English Literature and Anthropology at Mercer University. When not reading for her classes, she is still reading for pleasure! Katie is a major bookworm whose dream in life is to simply read all day (but, unfortunately, being a well-rounded reader doesn't pay the bills) or be a manatee princess...which isn't very realistic either. Other than books and manatees, Katie has a passion for song, piano, and nature. You can often catch her gazing at the clouds or looking up at tree branches. "The stars gleam, the poets dream..." -Jonathan Larson