Meet Your RHA President: Alfred Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Name:  Alfred Kithong Lee

Major: Finance major with an economics minor

What is RHA?  RHA is the Residence Hall Association. Our mission is to make the residence hall life more enjoyable for our residents, to develop a sense of pride and community within the residence halls, and to promote a healthy living environment for the residents. RHA strives to achieve these goals by providing large-scale educational and social programs, improving hall facilities, representing students ideas and concerns to administrations, attending state, regional, and national conferences, and providing opportunities for student leadership.

How long has RHA been at Mercer and what is the biggest accomplishment the organization has achieved?  The Residence Hall Association was recently established in the 2012-2013 school year. This makes Mercer’s RHA only one and a half years old, in terms of establishment. One of Mercer RHA’s biggest accomplishment is definitely making a name for ourselves on the local level, the state level, and even the regional level. In the short one and a half year that RHA was founded, RHA has soared to one of the largest student organization with over four Hall Governments and an executive board that help oversee the 1700 residents living on campus. On the State level, Mercer’s RHA has also made itself very well known in the state of Georgia, dominating the State conference and bringing home a large majority of the awards. On the Regional level, Mercer’s RHA has also set ourselves in the spotlight, making a presence in the regional conference. RHA was also able to win 2 regional and 1 national recognition awards.

Why did you decide to be part of RHA? I wanted to be a part of the Residence Hall Association because I strongly believe the mission of RHA. I want to make the on-campus experience enjoyable for all residents. Every student living on Mercer’s campus is usually required to live the minimum of three years on campus. The residence halls is in fact a large portion of an individual’s college experience. By being in RHA, I am able to help students voice their concerns pertaining to issues/changes in their residence halls. I have had a great experience living here at Mercer for the past four years and now I am in a position where I can help others enjoy the same (or better) experience themselves! 

What are your future ambitions? Currently, as a Finance major, I plan on finding an internship with a financial institution where I can work for a year or two after I graduate. While working, I also plan on getting my certification to become a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and then my certification to become a Certified Financial Analyst (CFA). I want to work in the financial sector where I am in a position to help people manage their finances. I believe that individuals who are able to manage their money can live an easier life.

How is RHA going to help you with your future ambitions? Although RHA is not directly related to Finance, I have and I am still learning a lot of skills that can relate to my daily living. RHA has definitely helped me become a more responsible and social individual. Because of my role in RHA, I had to step outside of my comfort zone where I had to talk to people I normally would not talk to. I am more comfortable walking up to strangers who I haven’t met and striking up a conversation. This “people-skill” will help me when I am working with individuals with managing their finances.

What events do you all have planned for the rest of the school year? In the past it has been the responsibility of the RHA Executive Board to plan programs. Now, RHA has recently created a Programming Committee who will be in charge of all future RHA programs. The Programming Committee is currently working on both large and small programs for the remaining semester and for the Spring semester as well. I can already tell that great ideas are bouncing around. Everyone would just have to wait and see what events RHA has in store! 

How do people get involved in RHA? There are many ways for students to get involved in the Residence Hall Association. Students can be a part of the Hall Government for their respective residence hall areas. The Hall Government is usually established in early Fall semester where they have to be voted in by the residents. Hall Governments is exactly the same as RHA, but on a much smaller scale. They are in charge of addressing their resident’s concerns/issues. They also host programs and events for their residential areas as well.

The next method that students can get involved in the Residence Hall Association is by going the RHA Programming Committee. This is an application process where any student, living on OR off campus can join. The Programming Committee is responsible for planning programs for all residents living on campus. They are also in charge of planning fundraisers to raise money for programs.

The last method that students can get involved is by joining the RHA Executive Board. The only way students can join the Executive Board is by either being a part of the RHA Committee and/or by being a part of a Hall Government for at least two semesters. Only then can a student run for an Executive Board position, where all RHA members with a vote, can vote them in.

What organizations are you involved in on campus aside from RHA? Outside of the Residence Hall Association, I am also involved in multiple organizations on and off campus. I am the Community Service Chair of the National Residence Hall Honorary. I am also a Student Justice of the Judicial Council. I work for the Mercer Football Event Staff Team. I am a mentor for middle school students in the StarBase 2.0 program. I am the Treasurer for Mercer’s Financial Management Association. I am also an Intern for Primerica Financial Services.

What is your favorite part of being a Mercer bear? My favorite part of being a Mercer Bear is amount of leadership opportunities that Mercer offers to students. There is a plethora of student organizations all over campus where students can get involved. Going out and joining different organizations has really opened the door for my own personal growth. The friends that I have made and the experiences I’ve gain through my many involvement has definitely made my college experience worth it!

What advice would you give to any freshman? My advice, not just for freshman but for anybody in general, is to take a chance and step outside of your comfort zone. Go out and get involved with different organizations and meet new people. Don’t just stay inside studying all the time. True, grades are very important in college, but grades are not everything, so take the time off every here and there to enjoy your college experiences because ten years from now, twenty years from now, you would want to remember all of the fun times you had in college, not all of the all-nighters that you pulled! 

What is your favorite quote?

One of my favorite quotes is by Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba Co.

“I always tell myself that we are born here not to work, but to enjoy life. We are here to make things better for one another, and not to work. If you are spending your whole life working, you will certainly regret it.”– Jack Ma

I am a student at Mercer University, and I am majoring in Journalism and Christianity.