Love is on the Net

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Valentine’s Day is devoted to love. Love for friends, family, a significant other, or even a pet. Around Valentine’s Day, people talk about, see, and hear many couples share their story on how they met, especially the cute stories of our elders. Yet how did they meet? We hear stories about couples meeting through swing dancing, in an elevator by accident, or even while traveling on a plane. What will we tell our future generations on how we met the love of our lives?

Well now everyone uses social media to interact more than the face-to-face conversation tactic. We tweet, we like, we follow, and we even Stumbleupon our lovers. Think about it. There are shows like Catfish now because that is the way today’s generation meet. If you take a picture on Instagram of yourself making a duck face with hash tags like #nofilter or #natural, then you know that someone is waiting to like that photo and get to know you better. Relationships now result in people having to text one another to interact even if they are in the same room.

Love can develop through the Web works if you find love for Netflix, Vines, or YouTube videos. There are heartthrobs on many sources and you can find out that person’s background by typing his/her name into the wonderful search bar of Google. Then just find their email or address, and profess your love for them through these sources. Love is simple with the accessibility of the Net at your fingertips.

According to online dating statistics 76 percent of single people in the United States try online dating. Also men are more likely to use sites such as eHarmony or Match.com than women. The truth is that men tend to lie about their age, height, and income, while women lie about their weight, physical build, and age. If there are so many false characteristics portrayed, how do you know if you truly have fallen in love with someone? You don’t. That is why you should be cautious and careful when using the Internet to find love.

However, not all relationships formed through the Web are like the ones described above. People use the Internet to stay connected to their beloved, especially if they are long-distance. Skype and the various social media sites are ways for those in the military to stay in touch with their families, or for people who meet while abroad to reunite in the space of their own home.

So be wary out there lovers. Find your soul mate and express your affection for one another through one of the hundreds of sites. Write reviews on the website you met, email us at Her Campus Mercer, or simply spend time with one another away from the Internet. Have a Happy Valentine’s Day from Her Campus Mercer!  

Steffiny is a senior pursuing a B.A Accounting degree at Mercer University. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Mercer. Steffiny is very active at her campus. She is the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi (the professional business fraternity), a Resident Assistant, and she works at the Academic Resource Center. Steffiny has many other talents, one of which is Indian dance choreography. If she could be anything in the world, she hopes to be a mermaid. Steffiny likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, listen to Disney songs (especially the Tarzan soundtrack), and play in the rain. This past summer she went to New Zealand for an accounting internship. After she graduates in May 2015, she will go to Thailand to teach English for nine months!