It’s Halloween…now what?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

It is FALL! The leaves are turning orange, the wind is blowing, and midterms are calling. Everyone is getting so excited about Thanksgiving and Christmas break, but we cannot forget about Halloween! Thanks to Mean Girls, we cannot help but feel like Halloween is just an excuse to dress up in lingerie and throw some animal ears on. Though that can be a fun night to (not) remember, there is SO much more you can do this Halloween. Just like those Thanksgiving and Christmas traditions you have with your family, you can start with some traditions of your own, with your college family.

Movie Night
   There are TONS of great Halloween movies out there. Whether you are a Disney fan or if you are into the old fashion scary stuff, there is something for you. On Halloween, get a group of friends together, pop some popcorn, and have a marathon. This way, every one gets a good study break, and you can re-live some childhood memories. Here is a list of Halloween movies that you can start with

Hocus Pocus
The Ring
Halloween Town
Paranormal Activity
The Adams Family
Harry Potter
Casper
The Exorcist
Beetlejuice
The Lady in Black

Pranks
   Lets face it – it is fun to get scared, but it is SOOO much better when you are in on the prank. Most college campuses have some great history (and great ghost stories) that you and your friends can use as a backdrop to get some pranks going. Mercer has quite a few ghost stories that are creepy enough to scare even the oldest alumni!

Party Time!
   If going downtown and getting scared isn’t your thing, start the party tradition. This year it can be at your apartment, and because of it’s success, your friends will want to throw one next year. Even if you are on a budget, you can do lots of DYI projects to make everything look good, and you can ask people to bring snacks, and make it a pot-luck!
Check out our Pinterest for some ideas!

Haunted House Hunting
   If you are completely into peeing in your pants because you are so scared, you might want to check out the local “haunted houses”. For a small fee (sometimes a rather larger fee) you can enjoy a great night with some friends. 
   Atlanta is the host of some of the greatest haunted houses in the country, like Netherworld and 13 Stories. Check out your local malls because the new thing in the Halloween industry is renting out old stores for the month of October and transforming them into creepy and memorable haunted houses.
If you are more of a thrill seeker and you want a REAL haunted house, check out your local library and see if you can find some home town ghosts. I’m sure they would love a visit this Halloween.

Cemetery Tours
   If haunted houses and urban myths aren’t your thing, maybe its time to take a group of friends to the local cemetery and hang out with the dead. A lot of historic cemeteries offer tours.

Carve a Jack-O-Lantern
Host a carving contest! All you need is some newspaper and carving tools. Ask people to bring their own pumpkins, and if you provide some snacks, it can be an awesome party! 

Trick-or-Treat
Who says you are too old for free candy? Dress up with your friends and go to a few near by neighborhoods and celebrate Halloween the old fashion way!

Volunteer
Most local hospitals have a children’s center with young ones that cannot go out and enjoy Halloween, so why not bring it to them? Contact your local hospital and find out their visiting policies. Dress up like a super hero or throw a small party. The smallest things make the biggest difference.

No matter what your Halloween interests are, do not wait until next year to get the ball rolling. Get some of your friends together and start your own traditions!

Photo source: http://digital-photography-school.com/halloween-photography-tips

I am a student at Mercer University, and I am majoring in Journalism and Christianity.
Steffiny is a senior pursuing a B.A Accounting degree at Mercer University. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Mercer. Steffiny is very active at her campus. She is the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi (the professional business fraternity), a Resident Assistant, and she works at the Academic Resource Center. Steffiny has many other talents, one of which is Indian dance choreography. If she could be anything in the world, she hopes to be a mermaid. Steffiny likes to travel, spend time with family and friends, listen to Disney songs (especially the Tarzan soundtrack), and play in the rain. This past summer she went to New Zealand for an accounting internship. After she graduates in May 2015, she will go to Thailand to teach English for nine months!