The Importance of Pink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

October is recognized as national breast cancer awareness month, but what does that mean? People hold fundraisers, wear lots of pink, and publically acknowledge love for their boobies. For those people who aren’t educated on the facts, this month may be looked at as propaganda and just another brand for money. Others may even say that its just a month for women to celebrate themselves. IF you agree with any of those statements or you simply are not aware of breast cancer, you may want to pay attention to the facts: 

• Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.
  • Although breast cancer in men is rare, an estimated 2,150 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and approximately 410 will die each year.
  • Caffeine, Deodorant, Cell Phones, and Microwaves do NOT cause breast cancer.  
  • Some genetic factors include: Gender, Age, Race: 
  • Breast cancer is most likely to effect females, women over 55, and Caucasian women.
  •  Menstrual and Reproductive History: If you start your period before age 12, begin menopause after 55, have your first child at an older age, or never having given birth, you are more prone to breast cancer. 
  •  Lack of Physical Activity, poor diet, and being overweight or obese puts you at a higher risk for breast cancer. 

Breast cancer affects so many people and their families. The importance of breast cancer awareness is to prevent women from reaching a point of no return. Every woman and man that has even a bit of knowledge is more likely to be aware of his or her body. This way, if something goes wrong, you are more likely to catchit and get it taken care of.
How can you get involved?

This week Her Campus Mercer will host 3 events for everyone to get involved and get aware.
             Wednesday October 24, 2012: Join us in the MEP Refectory for free ice cream and make awareness bracelets.
            Saturday October 27, 2012: Sleep in for the cure. Make sure you get a door hanger from the Wednesday event and show your awareness with your DO NOT DISTURB sign. Once you wake up, watch Say Yes To the Cure on TLC in the refectory. Look out for the time on our Facebook page.

If you cannot attend these events, or if you want to go the extra mile, here are some events that you can participate in:

•  The 2012 Central Georgia Race for the Cure: North Peach Park 7am 
  • Start a fundraiser- form a group that is interested and host a bake sale
  • Ask questions- The more you know, the more you can share with others

Do not let breast cancer sneak up on you. Take the initiative and educate yourself and others.

Photo credit: http://www.patriotledger.com/homepage/breaking/x1038226395/GateHouse-Med…

Source: http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-facts

I am a student at Mercer University, and I am majoring in Journalism and Christianity.
Olivia is a Business Major at Mercer University, pursuing a degree in Management and a minor in Marketing. With love for the arts she aspire to someday open her own bakery and non-profit organization for the arts. With a passion for all thing in life she hopes to spread the joy of community and creativity.