How College Students Do Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Once you reach a certain age, trick-or-treating isn’t very socially acceptable. In my humble opinion, college is the time to ride the line of socially acceptable and socially awkward. So take advantage of this time and   bring trick-or-treating back into your life! Obviously, there are going to be a few different rules for “young adult” trick or treating, but if you follow my Halloween advice, you are sure to have a great night!  

Before venturing out into Macon, start right outside your own door! Get your roommates together, dress up in your costumes, and go door-to-door in your residence hall! Once your neighbors hear the trick-or-treating, I’m sure that they will welcome you in their room with open arms and shower you with candy. If you think that your hall won’t be into doing door-to-door trick or treating, ask your RA to turn it into a program! So pull out your best costume, get your candy bucket ready, and prepare for the best trick-or-treating of your life.

As a college student, you are old enough to go trick-or-treating without parental supervision. This may convince you to go out into Macon to trick-or-treat. While this can be a fun adventure, you should not go alone. It is always safer to travel in a group.  So get together with some friends, put on a great costume, and trick-or-treat in the wonderful Macon community. It would be a good idea to map out your route ahead of time, and even to ask a friend from Macon where good places to go are. The key thing is to be safe while you’re having fun, so take the necessary steps to make both happen!

If trick-or-treating just doesn’t seem like something you want to do, another way you can celebrate Halloween, is going out and partying it up! Downtown Macon always has a lot of hotspots for Mercer students. Hitting the town is always a great way to take a break and have a good time. Take advantage, take a break, and enjoy yourself. Just remember to be careful and responsible. It would be a good idea to have a game plan ahead of time. You all should know where you are going to go, where you’ll meet if you get separated, and when you’ll be leaving. Halloween is a crazy night, and being responsible helps keeps it in order.

If you’re like my friends and me, the idea of Halloween is a fun thought, but we struggle to put things into action. We have spent hours talking about how much fun it would be to dress up as certain things. For example, we discussed being the characters from the Lady Marmalade video, or the Spice Girls. While these may be a bit extreme for us, the idea of dressing up is fun! You and your friends can do the same thing, only putting the ideas into action! As a group, you can go to your local thrift shop, raid your own closets, and play with make-up to create the perfect costumes! Dress up and take pictures! These are the memories that will last a lifetime!

And finally, do not forget about the days after Halloween! Candy goes on sale, and that is literally the best thing about Halloween. So, if all else fails, you at least have that to look forward to! 

Desirrae is a small-town girl with dreams of making it in the big city... Well not really. She is a freshman who decided she needed to write more than she needed almost anything else. She is a journalism major who fantasizes about being as important as Barbara Walters someday. When she isn't writing, Desirrae can be found reading, watching Netflix, spending time with her friends at school, or talking to her families from home... Or sleeping. Probably sleeping.