Her Campus Mercer Meets SGA President: Joey Wozniak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Name: Joey Wozniak

Major: Economics and Political Science, CLA

Campus Involvement:

• Student Government Association, President 
  • Reformed University Fellowship
  • Mercer Ambassadors
  • Mercer Maniacs
  • College Hill Alliance, Intern
  • Student Admissions Team

Relationship Status: Single

Hobbies: The ever-thrilling SGA meetings, Crossfit, Tennis, climbing buildings, eating at The Bear’s Den, enjoying city life, giving back to my community, adding to my #selfiesaga

Favorite Movie: Any movie with John Candy: The Great Outdoors, Trains, Planes, and Automobiles, Cool Runnings

Who is your role model?

I’m not sure if I have one role model that stands out above anyone else. However, I look up to anyone who can follow their passions and can love unconditionally. Mercer breeds people with passion faster than rabbits. I’m lucky to be in a place where I can look up to so many people, from students to administration!

What are your Future Plans?

After my tenure is finished, I’m a little scared about what comes next. I’m going to begin my application for the Truman Scholarship next week. I started learning Chinese this year with 老是. I can type characters with my keyboard now, even though I’m not entirely sure what they mean. I hope to begin a new internship next semester with an urban development firm or a private business development office. There are so many options out there, it’s hard to choose just one. I say all this to emphasize that there are a million different ways someone can choose. I’m remaining open to traveling down any path that life steers me.

Who is your favorite MU professor? 

Dr. Drake is my favorite professor at Mercer University. She has scolded me more in two years than my mother has in my whole life. Whether I didn’t staple my 10 page paper she made me write, made an ignorant statement during a discussing, didn’t give her enough time to write a recommendation letter, or heaven forbid, I ended a sentence with a preposition  – every correction and witty remark thrown at me was only for my personal growth and betterment.  She has carefully guided my young mind through the first half of my education. In fact, we’re meeting next week at Jittery Joe’s to talk about future plans! Mercer would be a different a place for me without her.

What is your favorite Mercer tradition?

I love a tradition that often goes unmentioned and one that is intangible. There’s a culture of mentorship at Mercer and I have grown so much because of it. Every student, professor, and staff member attempt to give back to each other. This culture sets Mercer apart from other universities. Giving back is my favorite Mercer tradition and one I try to do every day.

What is one thing every Mercerian should experience in Macon? 

Every Mercerian should explore Macon and learn about its rich history and culture. Not every city on the eastern seaboard, and certainly not in the rest of the country, can claim to as much rich history that Macon has. Get out, go explore, and go learn. I have found Macon to be warm and accepting. Go do the same. If you need help, ask me. I’d be happy to introduce you to Macon!

I am a student at Mercer University, and I am majoring in Journalism and Christianity.