This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

It’s obvious that Easy Mac has matured out of the cheesy raps of his early days. “I know it’s been a minute since I’ve been away/ Didn’t mean to cause pain I just need to escape” Mac raps on “Doors”, the opening track to his third studio album GO:OD AM. The line sets the tone for the rest of the tracks on the album, showing that he’s matured, at least a little bit, out of his style of frat rap into lyrics more cognizant of Kid Cudi on Indicud or A$AP Rocky on Long.Live.A$AP.

Mac obviously started his career as an independent rap artist off strong, if not a bit too early in his life, with Blue Slide Park becoming the first independent record to reach No. 1 on the Billboard 200 since 1995. But with great notoriety comes bad decision-making for the young rap star. Miller fell into heavy drug addiction and depression, which is addressed heavily on the album. On “Brand Name” and “Weekend” he gives a nod to his recovery process rapping, “To everyone who selling me drugs/ don’t mix with that bullsh*it I’m trying not to join the 27 club” and “Gettin high to deal with my problems” (respectively).

Miller collaborates with just about everyone on GO:OD AM. Ab-Soul, Lil B, Miguel, Chief Keef, and Little Dragon all drop at least a verse for the record. Not only that but he has quirky anti-mainstream artists like Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt and Flying Lotus produce for him. The collaborative medley is more than effective for an album where Miller is trying to present his new image to the audience. He highlights different accomplishments and accolades he’s come into. Acknowledging his emerged “good guy” on 100 Grand Kids and bragging about the money he’s earned on Cut the Check, we get a quick sneak peak into how he’s putting his life back together.

Mac hasn’t completely abandoned the stoner rap of his earlier youth that garnered him his original fan base. The majority of the album is melodic and relatively low beat, definitely not making it on to a pump up playlist in it’s entirety.  “Lord I need me a break/ but I’ll be good by the weekend” off the track Weekend surmises the motto of the youth, we’ve all got problems throughout the week but we push em aside when Friday rolls through. Though what has apparently made it’s exit from his work are the corny hooks that he used to rely on for his chart toppers. With GO:OD AM he’s achieved mellow nonchalance with a meaning without sacrificing some of the staples of his earlier work.

GO:OD AM is a prime example of how artists can mature and grow on their own terms and continually produce work that betters their last project. Miller’s hiatus from the rap biz was obviously much needed. The transparency of the album alone is enough to keep Miller’s name on the dining room table for quite a bit longer.  

Noemi Griffin is a college Freshmen at Mercer University. She previously live in Atlanta and is incredibly invested in the city. Her interests include, music, writing, filming, and sports.