DIY Nails: Newspaper Nails & Leopard Print Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

I think we can all agree than it’s important to feel good about yourself and boost your confidence! One of the best ways to do this, if you have a little time on your hands, is to highlight your “girly” personality with awesome nail designs! Nails  are one of my favorite accessories, because you have control over what they look like. Nails are literally and extensions of yourself. Your creativity comes out, and it’s like looking at 10 mini murals. I enjoy doing my nails quite often, even if it’s just one simple color. The nail designs I’m going to show you are very easy to do, but look like it took a bit of extra effort.

This first design is the Newspaper Nails, which gives you the effect of having words printed across your nails. It’s one of my favorites to do, when I want to do something snazzy but quick!

What You’ll Need:

·         White Polish (try Sally Hensen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear White-On, $2.48 – WalMart)

·         Top/Base Coat

·         Newspaper (grab the latest edition of The Cluster!)

·         Rubbing Alcohol

·         Q-Tips (optional, but helpful)

·         Small container (like a bowl)

What To Do:

1.       Start with painting a clear base coat on your nails

2.       Then paint your nails with 2 coats of your white polish

3.       Let them dry for about 15 minutes (while your wait – read the newspaper!)

4.       After your nails dry, cut out strips of your newspaper. Not too long, you want them a little bigger than the size of your nails

5.       Pour your rubbing alcohol into a small container, just big enough to dip the strips of newspaper

6.       Dip ONE strip of newspaper into the alcohol (DON’T dip them all because they’ll eventually get soggy and rip, and that’s not pretty – trust me.)

7.       Put that strip on the nail it’s supposed to go on

8.       Pat it down firmly with your finger, OR (this is where the Q-Tip comes in handy) use your Q-Tip and press down firmly on the paper. I suggest this way because it’s prevents the paper from getting clumpy or sticking to the bottom of your finger

9.       Here’s the tricky part – blow air on the wet newspaper until it is semi-dry. You don’t want it all the way dry cause when you lift the newspaper you have actual bits of paper on your nails, but if it’s not dry enough then the letters won’t really show. My suggestion is waiting until the paper isn’t visibly wet but when you touch it, it’s still damp. Just take off the paper before it’s too dry!

10.   Remove the newspaper strip, and see beautiful printed words along your nails.

11.   Repeat until all 10 nails are printed

12.   Then apply top coat!

13.   Now you should have wonderful newspaper nails!

Take this design a step further and, mix-it up! Instead of a white polish, try other colors like light pink or a baby blue. Lighter colors work best so that the words show!

Next up, Leopard Print nails. Patterns are definitely making their way back in the fashion scene and what better way to make a fierce statement than with some bold and classy leopard print! I love doing these nails, if I’m having a girls’ night out, or if I want a subtle everyday look to make my outfit POP! This design is also so versatile! You can do it with almost any color combination you can think of!

What You’ll Need:

·         Pink Polish

·         Brown Polish (make sure it’s darker than the pink polish!)

·         Black Design Polish Pen (try Kiss 3pc Nail Art Paint and Stencil Kit, $6.97 – WalMart)

·         Top/Base Coast

What To Do:

1.       Paint a base coat on your nails

2.       Then paint 2 coats of your pink polish on your nails

3.       Let your nails dry for about 15 minutes (while you wait – think about a cool outfit that’s gonna match your awesome nails!)

4.       After they dry, take your brown polish and put tiny dabs on your nails. You want to put maybe three or four on each nails, make sure they don’t touch!

5.       Let the brown polish dry for about 10 minutes (while you wait – open a new tab and read another Her Campus-Mercer article! I promise you won’t mess up your nails.)

6.       After the brown polish dries, take your black design pen and outline each brown dot. DON’T close it up, leave a little space so that the black isn’t connecting. Don’t make the lines straight either. Make them a little squiggly.

7.       Afterwards, paint a top coat over your nails and then you’re looking fierce!

Like I said, this design is extremely versatile so, instead of pink polish use white and then instead of brown dots pick lots of other colors and have a wonderful color explosion on your nails!

So, if you ever want to try something new with your nails, these designs are the perfect way to go! They don’t require a lot of time, and you don’t have to be an artist to do them! Now that you know the secrets to these amazing designs, invite your girls over, and let the fun begin!

Hey, it's Jaz. I'm just a girl who has an unhealthy obsession for all things cute and all things Jospeh Gordon-Levitt. Not to mention I dabble into the realm of K-Pop (quite often). And...cupcakes. I really really like cupcakes.