Breast Cancer Awareness: What can YOU do?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

When October comes around there are three things you’re absolutely sure to see: Halloween costumes, fall colors, and lots of pink – for breast cancer awareness. Everyone wants to get involved and it’s easy to get overwhelmed when you have a lot of different organizations urging you to donate for a cause that’s very worthy, but you’re not sure that your one dollar will make a difference. Believe me, it does. To help you keep your head above the pink waters I’ll give you tips on where to donate and, if you’re low on cash, how you can help raise awareness with little to nothing at all.

Susan G. Komen’s Race for the Cure

This is one of the most well-known events (and organizations) that help raise money for breast cancer. There are a number of races held year round across the country. There are there two that were previously held in Georgia, and the next one is going to be held in Bryon, GA on October 19, 2013. Bryon is only 20 minutes away from Macon and it’s only $25 to register an individual. This is a great opportunity to meet new people, bond with friends, and raise money for breast cancer! For more information check out the link here!

Become an Advocate for Hope

Through the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) there are ample opportunities for volunteer to raise awareness about breast cancer without having to spend a dime. Some of those opportunities include hosting or planning and fundraising event or signing up for an early detection plan. My personal favorite is becoming an advocate for hope.  This job is really simple: all you have to do is “spread the message of early detection as a Virtual Volunteer by participating […] and encouraging friends to do so, as well”. Simply by liking NBCF on Facebook or following them on Twitter you’re already taking the first steps. Find out about the other volunteer opportunities mentioned by clicking here.

Making Strides

If you’re not into racing, maybe you’d enjoy walking. The American Cancer Society hosts Making Strides in which you walk to raise money for breast cancer. It’s also only $25 to register as an individual and there are two upcoming dates in Atlanta: October 19 at Ashley Park and the next on October 26 at Centennial Olympic Park. You’re also able to volunteer for each of these walks if you would rather not participate. Volunteers really help walks like this happen and it’s always rewarding for the people who are there and yourself.

Be Self-Aware

One of the best ways to raise awareness is to start with you! Knowing how to perform a self-exam, having a regular medical exam, and being aware of the facts of breast cancer can not only save your life but someone else’s life as well. Becoming educated on what breast cancer is and who it affects can really bring to light how important organizations like the ones above are so helpful.

Though October is Breast Cancer Awareness month staying up to date on events happening within the breast cancer awareness community all year round is helpful to not only yourself, but those around. Volunteering, racing, or walking are all good ways to get involved – and you don’t have to do it alone! Get your friends, hop in the car, and raise awareness together!

Hey, it's Jaz. I'm just a girl who has an unhealthy obsession for all things cute and all things Jospeh Gordon-Levitt. Not to mention I dabble into the realm of K-Pop (quite often). And...cupcakes. I really really like cupcakes.