This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Black Friday. The infamous day after Thanksgiving. It is a term that we’ve all grown accustomed to hearing over the last few years. It has been openly praised for having great deals and for giving people the opportunity to get some Christmas shopping out of the way. However, it has also been openly criticized for taking people away from their families for the Thanksgiving holiday, being a dangerous event, and for not having the best deals. But what are the true pros and cons of Black Friday? Are there alternatives? Are the deals really great? I am here to answer all of these questions.

Pros:

1.      The deals. You can get many of the big ticket items you’ve been wanting (like a new computer, tablet, iPod, etc.) or just the everyday things, like clothes, at a discounted rate.

2.      Many people take Black Friday very seriously. They make it an adventure. People plan weeks in advance, clip coupons, map out a game plan, and rest up before their battle begins.

3.      Family bonding. Before you question my sanity, I know of many people who plan Black Friday with their mothers. They tackle the stores together and collectively celebrate the spoils of war.

Cons:

1.      The early start. Stores have been opening earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving Day for years. This year is no exception. Here are a few of the store hours for Thanksgiving and Black Friday for some major retailers:

Wal-Mart: Opens at 6:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving

Target: Opens at 8:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving

Toys R Us: Opens at 5:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving

K-Mart: Opens at 6:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving

Old Navy: Opens at 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving

Walgreen’s: Opens at 8:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving

This is a con because it cuts into the time the employees get to spend with their families on the holiday. Is that fair?

2.      There is also a trend of violence that happens in stores on Black Friday. People have gotten into fights and been trampled by crowds in the attempt to get the best deals. In many places, the altercations can be brutal, as in the article below, or even fatal.

3.      The deals that are advertised on Black Friday are not always the best deals. According to many sources, there are the least amount of items on sale for Black Friday. It is a very well thought out marketing scheme, but it may be best to start checking for deals earlier than Black Friday, and again after the festivities of the day.

Alternatives to Black Friday Shopping:

For many people, Black Friday just isn’t their thing. The crowds of people and the constant search for the very best deal can be overwhelming. That is why there is Cyber Monday. It is less widely known than Black Friday, but it has some of the same deals. The best part is that you can shop from home in your pajamas! It is online shopping so you have to take that into consideration when making purchases, but it can be just as rewarding as Black Friday, at some stores, maybe more. There is also Small Business Saturday. The Saturday after Black Friday is when people are encouraged to shop in small businesses in their communities to help the local small business owners. Many small businesses have goods and services comparable to those of larger chain stores, but with that smaller feel. Plus, an item from a small location where it could be one-of-a-kind is a great bonus.

Around Thanksgiving there are many options to weigh in the area of shopping. You should remember, though, that this is a holiday time, and you have to make time to relax and take a break from all the stress of school, especially before finals. With that in mind, I wish you well with your holiday shopping.

Desirrae is a small-town girl with dreams of making it in the big city... Well not really. She is a freshman who decided she needed to write more than she needed almost anything else. She is a journalism major who fantasizes about being as important as Barbara Walters someday. When she isn't writing, Desirrae can be found reading, watching Netflix, spending time with her friends at school, or talking to her families from home... Or sleeping. Probably sleeping.