The Beautiful Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

We are at a pivotal time in our lives. As collegiate youth, we are discovering ourselves and becoming comfortable in our skin. This is the time to overcome those dark high school days. This is the time to grow socially and intellectually. This is the time to let go of your shy traits and become the great leader that you are meant to be! With all this growth, you would think that personal problems like body issues suddenly disappear. Right?

Sometimes it is just all too easy to go back to being the awkward girl we all want to forget. We wake up and just don’t feel our best. Bedhead, new pimple that grew overnight, nothing fits right, nothing looks good. We have all had those days and shared those feelings. But why? We are strong, smart, beautiful young women who are on the way to changing the world. Do we really want to forget the awkward girl we are on the inside?

No.

We are perfect just the way we are.

Even pop music agrees with me. In the past few years, there has been a surge of female empowering music. Artists want you to know that you are beautiful. If you believe it, everyone else will too. Confidence is beautiful.

Here is a playlist of songs to listen to when you just aren’t feeling great about yourself:

Pretty Girl Rock, Keri Hilson

This song is exactly what I’m talking about. Hilson sings about herself in this song, setting an example to all the girls out there. ‘Don’t hate me ‘cause I’m beautiful,’ she sings. There are haters everywhere, ladies. They will hate because you are smart. They will hate because you are funny. And they will definitely hate because you are beautiful. The key is to not let the hate get to you. You keep on doing you.

Flawless, Beyoncé

In a way only she can, Queen B has given us a very empowering song in “Flawless.” It is wonderful in that she tells us that we are flawless. ‘I woke up like this,’ is not something most girls think during the day. But really ladies, you did wake up flawless. That pimple doesn’t matter, neither does that bedhead. In all the ways that do matter, yes, honey, you woke up like that.

What Makes You Beautiful, One Direction

It was the song that drove us crazy in the summer of 2012. But it actually sends a great message to girls, from a group of boys, no less. ‘You’re insecure, don’t know what for.’ You know what boys, I don’t know why either. One Direction has the attention of millions of girls, and they never degrade them or say anything bad about women. They actually give them lots of power. You are strong and beautiful, ladies. If you don’t believe me, listen to five cute European boys.

Beautiful, Christina Aguilera

If you weren’t a kid dancing around your house singing this at the top of your lungs, then you should stop what you’re doing right now, and do it. Christina Aguilera sings this song with so much soul and feeling, that you can’t not believe her. ‘You are beautiful, no matter what they say.’ Once you get this in your head, you will be much happier. You are beautiful, and people are mean. They want to hurt you, but you can’t allow yourself to be hurt by stupid people.

Perfect, P!nk

This is my favorite song of all time. Ever. I would sing it for you, but Pink does it so much better. This is the most uplifting song. ‘You’re so mean/When you talk/About yourself, you are wrong/Change the voices/In your head/Make them like you instead.’ Yes. Need I say more? You are perfect, just how you are. The sooner you start believing that is true, the happier you’ll be in the end.

With all of this positivity swirling around you, how could you not feel amazing? I know it, famous musicians know it, and now the only person left to convince is you. You’re beautiful, you are perfect, you are flawless, so go out and rock, pretty girl. Because that’s what makes you beautiful.

Desirrae is a small-town girl with dreams of making it in the big city... Well not really. She is a freshman who decided she needed to write more than she needed almost anything else. She is a journalism major who fantasizes about being as important as Barbara Walters someday. When she isn't writing, Desirrae can be found reading, watching Netflix, spending time with her friends at school, or talking to her families from home... Or sleeping. Probably sleeping.