Album Review: One Direction – Four

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

Released: Nov. 17

Singles: “Steal My Girl” and “Night Changes”

Overall Rating: 7/10

Best Tracks: “Steal My Girl”, “Night Changes”, “Fireproof”, “Where Do Broken Hearts Go”

From taking home three AMAs to releasing a new music video just last week, the boy band that once was thought to be a fad showed that they are here to stay. To commemorate four years of being a band, One Direction has decided to release their fourth studio album, Four.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch about me reviewing the infamous One Direction, let me explain a few things to you.

Firstly, I think we can all agree One Direction’s fans are a certain demographic. This demographic being preteen and teenage girls. Artists or bands loved by this demographic, for some reason, are never taken seriously. But who deemed what young girls listen to as “bad” or “not even music” at all? You’re telling every young female fan, who are already unstable at this age, their idols are simply not real music. Don’t be that pretentious person that denies them the happiness they find in One Direction, just because you think you know everything about music.

Secondly, One Direction is categorized as mainstream pop-rock. It’s not expected that their lyrics are going to have the influence or beauty of Bob Dylan’s or that their instrumentation or melodies are going to be as intricate or unique as Pink Floyd’s. You don’t go to McDonald’s expecting a five-course meal; so don’t listen to One Direction expecting some life-altering, eye-opening spiritual experience from them. That’s not what they’re tailored for. Take them for what they are, which is a boy band that makes happy, fun love songs.

Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way…

Four is the sound of a boy band that has found their groove and learned to harness it. Exactly what sound is that? I like to describe it as driving-off-into-the-sunset-road-trip-music. Most songs are guitar and piano driven, and many reference nostalgic, 80s classic rock riffs, most notably Journey’s “Faithfully” being emulated in the lead single, “Steal My Girl”. This is a theme that’s repeated from their previous album Midnight Memories, with the title track reminding us of Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me”. They’ve managed to subtly work in the sound of the 80s, with a modern day twist.

One Direction has matured incredibly since their “What Makes You Beautiful” days and have learned a thing or two about music. Their longevity as a boy band in today’s world is a testament to that. With most songs having layers of instruments, each song hits with enough power and momentum to keep the album going strong.

“Ready To Run” and “Where Do Broken Hearts Go” are great follow-ups to the opening track, each having its own grand and powerful chorus. It’s hard to hate any song on the album, with how lively most of them are. However, the beginning of “Ready To Run” sounds like the beginning of “Story of My Life”.

One Direction is known for their wacky lyrics, which seen in the track “Girl Almighty”. However, most lyrics are generic and non-specific, reminding us of One Direction’s manufactured roots. It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what each song is communicating. The most mature and specific song on the album is “Spaces”, talking about a two people who have just drifted apart. “18” was written by Ed Sheeran, and you can definitely feel his influence. The boys have had more of a part in writing, and although their lyrics need more polishing, improvement is apparent over the course of four albums.

“Fool’s Gold”, “Night Changes”, and “Fireproof” all have a dream-like quality to them, as back-up vocals are seamlessly blended with the instruments. No one aspect is taking precedence over another, nor are they competing with each other. Vocals overall have improved since their first album. The guitar in “Fireproof” is particularly pretty, and worth mentioning.

The closing track, “Clouds” is outfitted with big, full drums, which end the album on a nice note. It’s not exactly a big finish, but it’s an ending that leaves you wanting more.

It’s easy to forget that any production or performance of music—no matter how small—takes talent. People are quick to overlook that with groups like One Direction. Yes, they have several producers and people writing with them, but don’t be quick to make the judgment that they don’t have any hand in their musical identity at all.

Don’t be afraid to show your boy band feels. Rock out to One Direction shamelessly.

Read more about One Direction on Rolling Stone.

*I did not include deluxe edition songs in this, but “Change Your Ticket” is a great song, with guitar riffs reminiscent of The 1975. It’s a definite road-trip song. On the other side of the spectrum, “Act My Age” sounds like something you would play at a pirate-themed restaurant. Whoever smacked that on the end of the deluxe edition has issues.  

Jaclyn Ramkissoon is an aspiring journalist. Her hobbies include not being tall enough to reach things, losing socks in the wash, petting stray dogs, and being able to quote Back To The Future on command. She's 90 lbs of pure pop-punk.