Real Life Superwoman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is not only a teacher and advisor for the University of Memphis, but also a practicing attorney. Ebony Dawkins is a real life super woman! Facing challenges like we all do, Ms. Dawkins was a student in the College of Communications at the University of Knoxville, graduating with a major in Advertising and Public Relations. She then went on to continue her education by attending the Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law at the University of Memphis where she received her Juris Doctor professional degree in 2008.

Hometown: Memphis, TN

Birthday: April 15, 1982- Tax Day!

University of Memphis Status: Instructor/ Pre-Law Advisor

What is Your Favorite Thing About The University: “My favorite thing about the University of Memphis is the perseverance and resilience I see in so many of the students I teach and advise. Students at this University are not only bright, but also able to overcome adversity in accomplishing their goals. It is very inspiring and makes me want to work twice as hard to help students become their best.”

Who Is Your Biggest Inspiration: “My mother was a great inspiration to me, because I saw her go back to school to become a registered nurse while my sister and I were in elementary school. Her determination and hard work serve as a bench mark for me daily.”

What Inspired You To Go To Law School? “I was inspired to go to law school because I wanted to do something important. In the earliest stages of my career, I felt that there was something missing. It took a year or so after I graduated from undergrad to pinpoint my mission, but when I did, I realized that it was because of my need to be in service to others that I wanted a career in the law.”

What Type Of Law Do You Practice? “There were several iterations of my legal career. I began working in a general practice firm where I represented people in breach of contract matters, defamation law suits, divorces, and even child custody modifications.”

“I also spent a significant portion of my career focused on representing children in dependency and neglect cases; these are cases where children under 18 may have been mistreated or neglected by a parent or guardian.”

What Law Firm Do You Practice At? “I opened a law firm with a close friend, also a graduate of the University of Memphis, where we practiced mostly in the area of criminal defense. We represented people on cases in almost every class of criminal accusations, from misdemeanors to criminal attempt murder. That was a lot of fun!”

What Were Some Challenges You Faced Throughout College And Law School? “Like many young people, I faced financial challenges. Friends and family members with whom I was very close passed away while I pursued my education. But, the most challenging thing for me was the battle to become a higher version of myself. With all of the adversity that I experienced, I had to make a deliberate and conscious decision to keep going toward my goal. That is not always the easiest decision to make. I remember feeling, at certain points, that perhaps I was making a mistake and that I would be able to get by without completing school. I am glad that I kept making the decision to go forward.”

What Made You Want To Teach At The University? “I started as an adjunct instructor in January of 2013. I believe that I have always wanted to teach and I remembered my favorite professors and how knowledgeable they were and how much they made me value education. I wanted to be able to do the same for students here. I enjoyed my experience so much that I jumped at the chance to teach full time and act as the undergraduate advisor for the Department of Political Science. The best thing about teaching is that I can continue learning and growing everyday as well.”

How Long Have You Been Teaching? “I have been teaching for the University since 2013. The courses I teach are Introduction to Modern Political Thought, American Government, Judicial Process, and Constitutional Law.”

How Do You Manage Teaching And Practicing Law? “I have to strike a balance between the two. As I have started teaching full time, I have reduced significantly the cases on which I represent people here. At this time, the cases that I deal with are strictly appeals. In this way, I can divide my ‘research’ hours between preparation for class and preparation of cases for appellate review.”

What Keeps You Looking Forward And Staying Positive? “In reality, life can sometimes make you feel less than your best. I don’t think there is anything wrong with acknowledging when you have difficulty; however, the most important thing is to keep your overall goal in mind. I strive to be diligent in making sure that every step I take is a step toward my overall goal.”

When she is not teaching or practicing law, Ms. Dawkins spends as much time with her family as she can. Always striving to do her best, she is a living inspiration for all who aspire to be the best they can possibly be. 

I am currently a journalism major at the University of Memphis inspiring to attend law school after I graduate with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in pre-law. 
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.