I Dream of Song Collaborations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

We all have reoccurring dreams, right? Well, I dream a dream of dream song collaborations. I stay awake at night and think of my favorite artists and who I would love to see them do a collaboration with. Because I really want to sleep at night (or at least dream of something else), I thought sharing my ideal collabs with the world would give me some peace.

1.    Sam Smith/Adele

This is the collaboration we have all been dreaming about since we first heard Stay with Me. These two artists are so unbelievably talented and the raw emotion they bring to their songs is completely amazing. There are two ways that this could go—either this will be the best love song we will ever hear or the most heartbreaking song that it brings everyone to tears. No matter what the song is about, you can expect it to be a sweet lullaby to the world with these melodic voices.

2.    Kanye West/Taylor Swift

This collaboration would have definitely not have been considered an option in my brain until I saw those sweet pics of Kanye and Taylor from the Grammys. Their reconciliation has opened the doors for a one of a kind type of collaboration. Think I Knew You Were Trouble meets Heartless.  This works perfectly because recently both Taylor and Kanye have been switching things up and trying different styles. I have a feeling these two could create something explosive. Rumors of this collab have been floating around since the Grammys, and it’s making me really anxious and hopeful.

3.    Ariana Grande/Mariah Carey or JoJo

I had a tough time trying to decide who my dream collab with Ariana would be. With all the beef with Mariah Carey, I figured what better way to settle it than a full out diva battle on a song. The worst that could happen is an incredible song with high notes that none of us even imagined were possible by humans. JoJo, on the other hand, is one of the younger female artists that I think could hang with Ariana’s amazing vocals. It would also just be great to hear from JoJo again, because she just kind of disappeared on us. This collaboration could be an impressive Pop song with an R&B flare that Ariana and JoJo do so well.

4.    Ne-Yo/Bruno Mars

Bringing these two together could be one of the best collaborations with male singers ever. Ne-Yo and Bruno both have smooth, sexy voices that make you want to melt. They both are also known for being high-energy performers. This collab has the potential to seduce you, make you fall in love, or make you want to dance the night away. Wouldn’t it be great if all of those were balled into one amazing song?

5.    Nick Jonas/Demi Lovato

Who wouldn’t love a Camp Rock reunion? A Nick and Demi collab would make us all nostalgic for the times when Disney Channel musicals were all the rage. It would also show just how much the two have grown up since then. The soulfulness of both of their voices could create either a power hit like Heart Attack or a smoother hit like Jealous. With Demi’s incredible range and Nick’s sexy falsetto, this collaboration could be a pop phenomenon.

6.    Rihanna/Katy Perry

These two pop powerhouses could definitely be a collab for the ages. Both of them have won countless awards and have had numerous hits, both solo and collaborations. So why not share that magic with each other? Rihanna and Katy are really creative artists and are never afraid to try anything new. Neither of them are afraid to be controversial either. Remember Katy’s “I Kissed a Girl” and Rhianna’s “S&M”? Not only would this collab be great musically with these very talented singers, but I could only imagine how awesome the video would be for the song.

7.    Rae Sremmurd/Miley Cyrus

Now this collab might be a little crazy, but that’s exactly why I want to see it happen. Miley has proved to us that she can handle being featured on a rap song with 23. Her carefree attitude would complement perfectly with the No Flex Zone artists. Both are young and are just about having a good time. Even though Rae Sremmurd is a fairly new artist, they have proved to us that they aren’t a one-hit wonder with the success of their hit No Type. This unexpected collab could turn heads and be the go-to party of the year.

Now if we all wish really hard, maybe one of our dream collaborations will come true! 

Hey everyone! I am a sophomore journalism major with a concentration in public relations and a dance minor at the University of Memphis from Tupelo, Mississippi. I am a total marching band geek even though I don't play an instrument. I am in the colorguard though (the people with the flags, sabres, and rifles). I absolutely love reading, writing, drinking coffee, dancing and listening to music. Maybe not all at the same time, but trust me I've tried it a time or two. Most of my family and friends will tell you that I am one of the most random people you will ever meet. I like to think that I make their lives just a little more interesting. (Hopefully!) Journalism is something that I'm really passionate about, and I am very excited to a member of the HCMemphis team!
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.