Fighting Finals Fatigue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

The semester is almost over, which means that it’s time for finals. Most of us are walking around like zombies the last few weeks of school from lack of sleep to zero energy in general. To be able to make it through the countless all-nighters and study sessions that finals brings, you’re probably going to need a little help keeping your energy level up. Most of us, including myself, turn to coffee, energy drinks, or anything high in caffeine and/or sugar to keep us awake. These seem like a good idea in the moment because they are such quick fixes, but they are really unhealthy. Here are some great alternatives that you can eat throughout the day and night to fight off fatigue and to keep yourself from crashing from a caffeine/sugar overload.

FOODS TO INCORPORATE INTO MEALS

1.     Eggs

2.     Green Vegetables

(Broccoli, spinach, peppers, celery, cucumbers)

3.     Whole Grains

(Brown rice, whole-wheat bread, oatmeal)

4.     Salmon

5.     Beans

6.     Vegetables

(Carrots, sweet potatoes)

ANYTIME SNACKS

1.     Fruits

(Lemons, bananas, apples, limes, oranges)

2.     Nuts

(Cashews, almonds, walnuts, granola, hazelnuts)

3.     Drinks

(Water, milk, herbal teas)

4.     Dark Chocolate

5.     Yogurt

6.     Popcorn

7.     Peanut Butter

8.     Hummus

Hey everyone! I am a sophomore journalism major with a concentration in public relations and a dance minor at the University of Memphis from Tupelo, Mississippi. I am a total marching band geek even though I don't play an instrument. I am in the colorguard though (the people with the flags, sabres, and rifles). I absolutely love reading, writing, drinking coffee, dancing and listening to music. Maybe not all at the same time, but trust me I've tried it a time or two. Most of my family and friends will tell you that I am one of the most random people you will ever meet. I like to think that I make their lives just a little more interesting. (Hopefully!) Journalism is something that I'm really passionate about, and I am very excited to a member of the HCMemphis team!
Lauren Berry is a journalism major at The University of Memphis from Dallas, Texas. She's spent the past three years covering news stories from campus events to attending the Michelle Obama press conference at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Wanting a change, she joined the Her Campus team to empower women and get her voice heard. She believes that finally, she's in the right place.