Recent Study Finds More Teens Rejecting the Gender Binary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MDC chapter.

A study published in the journal Pediatrics found that more teens are questioning preconceived notions of the gender binary.  The gender binary is the classification of gender into the opposite categories of male and female. Though past studies, such as the 2017 study by UCLA, have identified the percentage as

0.7%, of the Minnesota teenagers polled by UCLA, 3% identified themselves as transgender, gender

fluid, gender queer or unsure about their gender identity. But why the sudden shift? If you’ve been exposed to any media lately, you’ve seen that gender is a hot topic. With celebrities like Amandla Stenberg speaking out about being a non-binary individual and shows like “I am Jazz” breaking into the mainstream, alternative labels and identities are gaining recognition. With increasing visibility in the media, it seems that teens are becoming more comfortable with exploring their own identities. Social media plays a big role in the exploration of identity, with social media websites such as Tumblr and Twitter often serving as a safe haven for means of self-expression.

It may seem that such issues are new but transgender, gender fluid, and non-binary people have always been around. Cultures throughout history have acknowledged these variations, as gender expression is often unique and not constrained by the labels of boy and girl. Navajo and Mohave Native American tribes have individuals who identify themselves as being “two-spirited” while Tamil Nadu, people of South India, uses the term Aravani for men who adopt female gender roles. One of the first widely known transgendered women dates to 1926, when the actress and singer Christine Jorgensen story appeared on The New York Daily News. Gender non-conforming individuals have paved the way for change in our society, such as transgender activists like Miss Major Griffin-Gracy, who was a leader in the Stonewall Riots of 1969 which kick started the LGBTQ movement.  Films like “The Danish Girl” give the world a bird eyes view to what an individual goes through when searching for who they are and how they concluded as to how they feel most comfortable and at home.

In a constant shifting world, it can be hard to stay informed about the growing movement around gender identity. For some, topics relating to preferred pronouns and identifying as non-binary, can be new and confusing. Three important distinctions exist when understanding gender, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientations. Gender identity is a person’s experience with their own gender, while gender expression is how a person explores and expresses their gender, often through appearance and behavior. A person who identifies as male can express femininity through painting their nails or wearing a dress. Sexual orientation is apart from all of this; it’s the gender a person is attracted to. Language has developed with the gradual visibility around those who don’t fall into traditional ideas of gender, allowing us to create new pronouns and ways to identify. Instead of assuming someone’s pronoun, it has now become much more common to ask for their pronouns just as you would their name. Some may question the importance of this, but pronouns are an integral part in many individual’s identities. Moral of the story, before you decide a judgement on someone, be cautious, be mindful, but overall merely have respect for all individuals.

A free spirit who was born and raised in sunny Miami, Fl, Valerie currently studies at Miami-Dade College and is working toward a degree in journalism in hopes of making a difference in the world by unraveling her inner activist through her writing and actions. Everyday making progress little by little.