photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Andrew Gillum is the Next Best Leader for Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MDC chapter.

Andrew Gillum has been the talk of the town as he projects his views for the running of governor of Florida in many news headline, public discussions, and rallies. I personally witnessed him speak at a Women’s Protest back in February and man does he have a way with words. Everyone that was present at the protest clapped, cheered, and a sea of nods were seen in agreement as Gillum hit points that must be brought to light such as abortion rights, how empowering women are, and other strong statements and views. He is a true progressive and his motives are not veiled before the people. “I actually believe that Florida and its rich diversity are going to be looking for a governor who is going to bring us together, not divide us. Not misogynist, not racist, not bigots, they’re going to be looking for a governor who is going to appeal to our higher aspirations as a state.” Said Gillum in a recent interview with CNN. Many would agree that equality is favored over categories of humanity such as those previously states. Socialist is not seen as a good sign by many people when a candidate states their position as such and although complete equality could not exist within a capitalist country, his views of social reform and justice overlooks said “party”. Some, but the most prominent, of Gillum’s views include open access to health care, more money contributed to education (public schools and raising teacher pay), environmental protection, and minority rights. Coming from a city where the majority are minorities and Trump’s recent fall of events dealing with families and other situations involving immigration, that have affected my city, this is a strong and welcomed view by voters. His background experience also proved to be a good suit with him having been in Student Government Association of FAMU, served on the Board of Trustees and currently being mayor of Tallahassee. Activists all up and down the state of Florida are all rooting for him and after his Republican candidate, Robert DeSantis made that “monkey” comment that damaged DeSantis’ own rep, Gillum’s chances of being Governor of Florida have increased. So far, Gillum’s political talent and message are helping him overcome any hate or anti-progressive advocates that are trying to tear him down because of one sole reason: he represents those that have no voice and standing up to the gun lobby. Along with this, he not only become the first African-American to win a major-party nomination for Florida governor, but Gillium’s campaign rounded up to $1 million, within just 24 hours. Those six figures came from the Democratic Governors Association Wednesday evening, the day following his democratic primary win, The Associated Press reports. These proceeds went to many grassroot organizations that Gillum, being a progressive, supports as well as some other organizations having reached out to him, which demonstrates his promoting of environmental attention and need. These aspects of change, social involvement, and creating a better world for the people are what makes up Andrew Gillum as a strong candidate to become the governor of Florida.

A free spirit who was born and raised in sunny Miami, Fl, Valerie currently studies at Miami-Dade College and is working toward a degree in journalism in hopes of making a difference in the world by unraveling her inner activist through her writing and actions. Everyday making progress little by little.